Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Waters Edge BIO-Habitat Kit

A

alicia

Hello All,
I've been wanting to get a newt or two for a while but I've had a hard time finding them locally (Stckton, CA.)
I finally decided to get my tank going and then work more seriously on getting the occupants:) I haven't decided
what I'll get yet but am leaning toward a smaller, mostly aquatic newt. I had an Axolotl for a couple of years so
I have a little experience but I'll need something more for a beginner. (Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!)

I was just going to do a 10gal tank but I saw this and really liked the looks of it. Does anyone have any
experience with it? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13978&cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-Linkshare-_-Fish-_-Waters%20Edge%20BIO-Habitat&ref=3665&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x007 It's kinda pricey but I just sold some photographs that would cover the cost.(yea!
rofl.gif
)

J

jennifer

That's a nice-looking setup, but I have never seen one in use. The thing that would most worry me is whether there are any small cracks or crevices that would allow a newt to "disappear" or get into the filter. It's not obvious where the filter is, or what kind it is. In-tank filters generate some heat, so that could also be a problem, since it is sometimes a struggle to keep newt tanks cool enough. It claims to be a half-terrarium, but the "land" area isn't very hospitable (from a newts-eye point of view), and it would be next to impossible to feed the newt if it decided to hang out on the land area.

I didn't intend for this to sound so negative, just to mention some possible problems. There are newts that I can imagine living quite happily in this tank. But you might want to resolve what kind of newts you will be getting first (at least in general terms). If you get captive-bred, they are likely to be juveniles. The advantage of a "plain" tank is that you can change the setup if the needs of the animal changes. If you can afford to consider this tank, you might also want to consider a 15 or a 20-long tank, rather than a 10-gallon.

ryan

Reaction score
I saw someone keep a siren and an amphiuma (bad idea)in this type of tank I believe. I'm not sure how many gallons it was though.

tony

Reaction score
i've seen this in use at a petstore housing firebellys and warties. it looked like a nightmare to clean with cave like overhangs near the bottom. not sure on the filtration, but i remember seeing a honeycomb like grill intake on the bottom. if you plan on any breeding i think the grill was very large and would suck up eggs and larvae

A

alicia

Thanks so much for the input guys. I've found a little more info about the tank and feel pretty good about it. It has an Eclipse filter located behind the fake rock wall. (It's the exact filter I have in a fish tank at home.) I talked w/someone who uses it for his frogs and so far none of them have gotten behind the wall or escaped. He did say cleaning was a bit of a struggle but doable. Anyway, I just ordered it and it should be here next week. I let you know if it works out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1