Shroomies as roomies?

C

chris

anyone ever tried using mushrooms in a terrestial setup. i think it would look pretty cool but what enviromental requirements would they need? anyone ever tried this or have any pics?

Hi Chris, you can buy dried bracket fungi which swell in the vivarium and hold their shape, i've just bought some myself they look really good.

is there a place online a guy like me can get some? or did you get it at a local store around town?

I use them for my setup. I take them off trees around my house (the big ones that grow off the side) then i seal them and then drill holes for suction cups. Then glue the suction cups to the fungus. They can hang from anywhere in the tank. It makes an excellent resting spot for frogs (tree frogs). I'll try and post pictures soon.

As well as being a newt nerd, I studied fungal growth a lot back in the day, don't ask why...
If a mushroom was placed in a terrarium, I think there would be a good chance the newt would eat it. Mushrooms give off pretty tantalizing scents that would be inviting towards salamanders...also, mushrooms in a moist environment will thrive and reproduce. As with any fungus, I mean, it also depends which you choose, they often go bad if the optimum requirements aren't met. I think it would be wise to let some grow and experiment in another small set up that is similar to what they would be housed in. You could see how the mycelium (roots) grow, and if spore reproduction takes place. Remember, some mushrooms are toxic, so research research research!!!

What do you seal the fungi with? I recently took a few bracket fungi off of a few fallen logs, and am letting them dry now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back