The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Old 2nd December 2006   #1
blake

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Im going to be working on a new paludarium soon, and i'd like to create a waterfall feature to diffuse the current a little. Is there a type of filter that will pump the outflow through a hose? Or is there some way to make a home made filter using a waterfall pump?

Old 2nd December 2006   #2
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Many of the submersible filters available are able to be attached to tubing. For example, I know you can do this with the Duetto. When you get any filter or pump, select one with the lowest wattage - watts are correlated to heat production and you probably want to minimize this.

Old 3rd December 2006   #3
blake

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ok good... i was thinking about getting a duetto mini submersible... it'll be in a 20 gallon long tank, but it won't ever be filled more than half way so it should be able to handle 3 or 4 newts right? can that filter be hooked up to tubing or do you have another reccomendation? thanks for the wattage tip, too.

Old 3rd December 2006   #4
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Another option to consider for a 20-long tank would be the Zoomed 501 external filter. It could also be used to make a waterfall, and it heats the tank less than any submersible, in my experience. Yes, I would say that the tank could support 3-4 newts, assuming they are small (C. orientalis?)

Old 3rd December 2006   #5
blake

Gallery Images:
Comments:

cannister filters are kind of expensive though. i was hoping to keep the cost around the $20 range. i'm not sure what i'll put in it yet. i'll be in the market. =] i may transfer my two T. Torosa to it for awhile. they're pretty hardy

Tags
filters, homemade

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3 (Set)

agent10247, Gingrich, handemum