Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mini paludarium for Ambystoma maculatum

L

laurent

Hi!
Here is my new setup:
0498faffbde99a0dda9925723b304d30.jpg

My salamanders always hide under the moss. I hope thy enjoy the tank.
Do you have any tips to see those a bit more often?
Thanks!

D

dane

can it get out of the water easily if it falls in? the sides into the water look a little steep

otherwise I think it looks nice

V

virginie

Salut Laurent, contents de te voir ici
What a beautiful tank set up
wink.gif

K

kara

Oui, cest une belle terrarium....mais, si une salamandre tombe dans l'eau, comment est ce qu'il bouge de l'eau??
As til une isle ou une morceau de bois pour casse le surface de l'eau?

L

laurent

Hi everybody!
biggrin.gif

It's not that difficult for the salamander to exit from the water as you can see on this picture.
f1f8435ca1069bfcbd28168919195395.jpg

It's a wood covered with moss witch separate the ground from the water.
The first day I had I saw one coming out from the water quite easily.

J

jonathan

What is the white sheet covering the rocks and the bottom of the pool area?

L

laurent

It's a fabric not to mix the stones with the ground. Then the pump doesn't get blocked.
wink.gif

M

mark

It's a very nice looking tank Laurent, though I wouldn't say it was ideal for A.maculatum. They like deep substrates with dark burrows to hide in. I give mine plastic tubes sunk into the soil. If you keep the substrate moist they will not need a water feature/bowl. As you say, they spend all their time under the moss and I doubt they use that great looking water feature. They will only take to water during breeding and captive breeding indoors would be exceedingly rare. A few people have achieved breeding outdoors.

The "Housing Adults" section of this A.tigrinum care sheet has some ideas for viewing your salamanders in their hides. http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

Still, it's a great looking naturalistic tank - but maybe better suited for another species.

L

laurent

I agree with you but the thing is that I builded this set up before I had the salamanders. I wanted some terrestrial salamander. So I order some to my pet shop. But nothing was available. So I decided to create that king of set up because I thought it would feet for a lot of terrestrial caudates(I had in mind some ambystoma). Few month later, Ambystoma maculatum were the only specie I had the oportunity to get, so...
I will reduce the aquatic part in the future but for now I don't want to disturb them.
The deep of the ground is between 5 and 8 cm(under the moss). Do you think I should put more?
I also added a large peace of wood to hide under.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!