Tigers, tigers burning bright, in the forest of my... bedroom!

S

samuel

Here are some pictures of my tank set up for four my barred tiger salamanders, Eugoogley, tilly, tom, and tiny. The moss is on its very last legs-my next delivery is coming tommorrow so all shall be new and lush once more! The tank is four foot long, one foot wide and 18 inches tall, and consists of pretty much equal land and water halves. The land is planted with ferns, and is 4-8 inches of compost, topped with moss (on a gravel bed for drainage) The gravel is topped with a muslin membrane to prevent pica. There are three caves to allow access to the compost for digging-this stops them messing up the moss! The use of caves also lets me put substrate on top of the caves-increasing available surface area for them. The largest cave actually goes under the water area-and there is compost underneath the water areas to allow further exploring and burrowing!
The water section starts with a paint roller tray-providing a good gradient for getting into and out of the water. This empties into a tilted storage box at the end-which gives a deep lagoon with a fun overhang which i have planted with ivy and ferns. the lid of the storage box provides a stepped ladder to let them get out once they are done playing crocodile. At first i had only a small water area, but when all four fancy a swim at the same time there isnt much space! also, i have noticed they prefered the deeper end of the roller tray-so i made a further deeper lagoon. Hope you like the pics!

71330.jpg

71331.jpg
71332.jpg

71333.jpg

thankyou! I have made it a bit better with new fresh moss, a mossy log background and a fogger. the fogger is mainly whimsicle, but it does cool down and humidify well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back