COOLING FAN Kits! For VIVS!!!

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
Guess what I found!

A cooling fan (computer fan) with metal fan guard, and converter!!!! It comes with bolts to place it in the canopy of the viv. Who makes it you ask? CORALIFE and they call it an Aqualite Cooling Fan Kit. I went into Fish Town USA in Queens New York to see if they had some nice rocks for me to put in my new viv, and bam right above the ligthbulb section there it was. I couldnt believe my eyes. This is such a saving grace, I knew I had to put one in to keep the glass from fogging up, but I dont know how to solder or cut wires, or know which wires go with what. And here it is all setup and ready to go. However, to my dissapointment, I still have to install it into the canopy, which means I got to, according to the instructions, use a 3/16" drill bit to bore holes through the canopy (I don't think I've ever held a drill in my hand). Fortunately it comes with screws and bolts for the occasion. So, in the end its a great buy. Byt the way it cost me $28.99. I'm worried about having to install it in my standard hood. I'm the kind of guy who is still amazed he could put together a pre-built computer desk from Staples 5 years ago.

So, any suggestions, friendly advice, statements of amazement, you all got for me? Thanks.

Great find, Andrew! People have been making jury-rigged devices like this for a while. It's nice to know you can now buy them. Good luck with the drill; I'd suggest practicing with the drill on some throw-away materials until you get the hang of it. Then put a piece of wood behind the plastic so you don't crack it.

For anyone interested, I found a photo of this product:
http://store.seacorals.net/coaq43cofank.html

Yeah, I discovered I could get a small measure of temperature reduction by attaching a large computer heatsink to my ZooMed canister filter.

Personally, I just use a wired computer fan with a 12v adapter and get great results with cooling my lights and clearing the front of my viv. Total, you can easily get the two pieces at any electronics shop for $20, but if you have a compatible adaptor laying around, you can cannibalize it and save around $12.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back