Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hatching brine shrimp

S

susan

The instructions for hatching brine shrimp suggest that the best temperature is 27-30 celcius. The air temperature in Sydney is around 14 -16 at the moment. Has anyone ever tried using a heat lamp to help hatch - would this work better than having an ordinary lamp to keep the water warmer. Any suggestions to help with the hatching would be appreciated.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I put my hatchery in a water bath with a heater. At cooler temperatures they usually hatch but take a little longer.

J

jennifer

I have hatched baby brine at 16-18C (in the basement) without any added heat or light. It takes longer (the shrimp are ready to use on the 3rd day), but works just fine. Adding a heat lamp might help, but it's an added hassle, and you should really be VERY careful about safety issues (heat + electricity + water + plastic = yikes!).

L

linda

I've hatched my brine shrimp in a salt water solution with just a fluorecent light. The temp got to about 72 degrees F and they hatched in about 2-3 days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!