The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 12th June 2006   #1
susan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The instructions for hatching brine shrimp suggest that the best temperature is 27-30 celcius. The air temperature in Sydney is around 14 -16 at the moment. Has anyone ever tried using a heat lamp to help hatch - would this work better than having an ordinary lamp to keep the water warmer. Any suggestions to help with the hatching would be appreciated.

Old 12th June 2006   #2
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I put my hatchery in a water bath with a heater. At cooler temperatures they usually hatch but take a little longer.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006   #3
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have hatched baby brine at 16-18C (in the basement) without any added heat or light. It takes longer (the shrimp are ready to use on the 3rd day), but works just fine. Adding a heat lamp might help, but it's an added hassle, and you should really be VERY careful about safety issues (heat + electricity + water + plastic = yikes!).

Old 23rd June 2006   #4
linda

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've hatched my brine shrimp in a salt water solution with just a fluorecent light. The temp got to about 72 degrees F and they hatched in about 2-3 days.

Tags
brine, hatching, shrimp

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 4th April 2018, 23:20 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.