Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

More questions about canadian nightcrawlers

ali

Reaction score
Alright, I have decided that canadian nightcrawlers are the easiest for me to keep. Reasons for this mainly include that I live in a dorm and worms in my fridge are easiest for me. I have purchased them from wal-mart and read everything I can find on keeping them. Since I only have two newts right now, I want to keep the worms happy and healthy for as long as possible.

Should I ever change their soil? How much/often/what types of veggies or fruits should I provide to them? Should I take portions out after a certain amount of time?

Provided that someone gives me good advice, how long do you think I can make them survive? How will I know if they are becoming inadequate to feed to my newts?

J

joan

You don't need to change the soil or feed them or anything. Check them once in a while to see if there's any mold (it would be right on top, fuzzy stuff), if there is, you need to throw out the whole container. Other than that, you can keep them in the fridge for weeks without doing any maintainance to them.

If you pick up the worm, and wash it off, and it doesn't wiggle, or is otherwise obviously dead, don't feed it to your animals. Dead food can contain nasty bacteria that could make your animals sick.

ali

Reaction score
Thanks Joan, this is good. The problem is that I only have 2 newts and worms come 24 to a pack. So I don't want to be a mass worm killer! My roommates cray fish loves them as well though. Anyone else have any advice for maintaining happy worms and keeping them as long as possible?

J

joan

Just cut what you need off the end of the worm (the lobe part, not the darker part, that's the 'head'), and throw the rest of the worm back in the tub, it will survive just fine.

P

pin-pin

Joan has good advice. I would like to add that it is not easy to culture canadian nightcrawlers. It is easier simply to purchase them.

If you are interested in culturing your own worms, I would go with Eisenia hortensis (European nightcrawler).

ali

Reaction score
Ah yes, living in a dorm room I certainly purchase them. I found out that I can buy redworms at petsmart, which would be better in size for my needs.

D

diego

yes but even thought they are smaller ive read that newts wont take them because they are so nasty tasting when cut up...
uhoh.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!