Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Locusts

L

laura

Well my mom went to the petshop to get more bloodworms but she was looking around and they have live locusts there and the owner said that my little critter would love them. Can he eat live locusts?

The problem i was worried with was my friend doesn't really have 'land' as he is aquatic so would they not drown when i put them in?
xLaurax

A

abrahm

It's best if you can give us a species so that you can get a good answer. I don't think that your paddletail will eat locusts, he is aquatic like you said. Also, if your locusts are like ours here in the US they will probably be too big.

L

laura

They look like the gregarious dessert locust. about just over an inch long. I went to the pet store to get crickets but they had none left but the owner gave me 2 of these to try. I didn't want to give them to him until i got confirmation if they were ok to feed as i was worried they may make him ill or be poisonous to him. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

J

jennifer

If they are being sold as reptile food, I'm sure they are fine for a newt. They are uncommon, but I have heard of locusts recommended as a live food for reptiles. When I feed crickets to aquatic newts, I offer the cricket underwater, held in place on a pair of tongs or feeding forceps. This might work for feeding the locusts to your newt.

L

laura

Lol i don't know if i could do that. My worst fear is being eaten alive and i honestly cudn't subject them to it. Mum will try i recon when im not looking :p xxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1