Feeder Roaches

J

jacob

I was wondering if anyone else has used feeder roaches for salamanders. I have used a few species and find them very easy to culture and feed to my bigger newts/salamanders.

Yes, I raise roaches and the salamanders seem to love them.

ive recently started breedin dubia roaches and they are great sal feeders dont smell (except when on of the adults died) and have a good meat to shell ratio

I think this is a very intressting issue!

I have given my Salamandra salamandra and Ambystoma spp Nauphoeta cinerea. I have read that they are suposed to have softer shell than other roaches and therefor are better as food since other roaches have to hard shell for caudates. It seems to have worked out fine since i had no problems so far.

I dont know if roaches in generall have to hard shells for caudates to ingest since diffrent reptiles of varios size doesnt have any problem. And i have found no source that says that amfibians have less effective digestionsystem than reptiles (for example leopardgeckos)

I know that for example toads of diffrent kinds (bufo alvaris and other) can have problem with larger kinds of roaches. Sometimes the shell comes out undigested. That my cause impactation in smaller caudates perhaps? The toads dosent seem to suffer from it though.

Nauphoeta cinerea has the nasty abillity ty climb on glass though so feding may be a hassle. But nothing is easy... Spelling in english can be qute hard for example. Hope you understand at least something i write... sorry

Fredrik

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back