The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 6th December 2006   #1
morrissey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello!
Here's my first Ambystoma maculatum, as I said before, I saw it in the pet shop with real bad and dirty condition, so I wanted to give them some advice...but finally the shop keeper keep promoting it to me and i got it home.
Here's 2 photos of it, since i'm new to spotted salamander, so I'm not sure for many things, should I treat him like Tiger Salamander too?
I use water now since the shop keeping him in about 4" water deep for several months, I'm planning to change soil basement but I think i should make it step by step. He's a little fussy guy, whenever I get close to the tank, he's a bit scared and running...
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 6th December 2006   #2
travis

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It will be good to transition him to a terrestrial setup. I don't see any reason why it needs to be a gradual process. I think he would do fine right off the bat....

Old 6th December 2006   #3
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That is very true. They spend most of their lives underground and avoid water until breeding season in early spring. Otherwise they are very terrestrial and where I live they can only be found deep underground but a small pool of water in the exhibit would not hurt it.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th December 2006   #4
jacob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

definitely get it some more land!

Old 10th December 2006   #5
morrissey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi all!
Thanks a lot of the advice! I just bought my Ambystoma maculatum a new tank today, with soil based and moss. He seems love it and hiding into it once I put him inside! LOL!

Here are some pictures!Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10th December 2006   #6
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice job! Now Sean will feel right at home.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10th December 2006   #7
annmarie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Morrisey, You always have such lovely caudates!

Great looking A.maculatum Good luck with Sean.

Old 11th December 2006   #8
morrissey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ha! Thanks Cam & Ann,

I'm only trying my best.

By the way, I'm currently feeding him with crickets, and actually how often should I feed him? He's a small one, and around 12cm long, I have been told that he's around 1 years old.

He's kind of quiet, I don't see him moving at all but only lay down for the whole day!

Old 11th December 2006   #9
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I keep mine in storage tubs with about 4 inches of topsoil. Sunk into the soil are black plastic tubes at an angle, about 4cm in diameter and 20cm long to make a fake burrow. The salamanders spend all day hiding deep in their burrows and poke their heads out at night to wait for food.

Crickets are accepted but make sure you don't leave uneaten ones in the enclosure. They have a nasty habit of chewing and you don't want them to chew on your sal. I feed a mix of earthworms, crickets, waxworm, and mealworm - mostly using tweezers.

Old 12th December 2006   #10
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Probably one cricket each day. Four days a week. That should do the job and as Mark said " don't leave uneaten ones in the enclosure." Good Luck!Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th December 2006   #11
morrissey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Mark & Cameron,

It;s really helpful!
Morrissey

Old 15th December 2006   #12
dane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i feed mine a decent sized worm every couple of days, and there are pillbugs in to tank for mine

Tags
ambystoma, maculatum

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 23rd June 2018, 18:05 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.