Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. pyrrhogaster

M

mark

10-12mm larvae
54492.jpg

54493.jpg

54494.jpg

54495.jpg

And a gnat larvae that was in with them...
54496.jpg

54497.jpg

A

aki

Have to admit that indescribable amazing photos you have taken Mark! Now I finally really have to ask whether you are using tripod or not? And flash any kind? Just can't anymore let myself wandering with this dilemma...
happy.gif

A

aki

Tim and Henk, among others, have represented amazing photos here as well. I am a quite interested in how you guys have made your photographing arrangements in practice before shooting pictures. Any support from tripod, extra lighting, using of potential reflectors or shadings... and so on. It would be sometimes really useful and educational for all of us who just can't take such a professional photos, if we could get a chance to see even something basic spects about camera settings and equipments used in the individual photographing session, since this is also photographing thread overall and many of us would be really eager to learn more from the examples as well. Sometimes is really interesting and enlightening to find out, how exactly some photos have taken in practice...
happy.gif

Edit: In fact, this question should be located in "Photographing technique" -thread, but please forgive me...

(Message edited by Aki_Suzuki on February 23, 2006)

H

henk

No problem to answer questions of this kind in in the photographic technique environment.

But here are some tips :
- I often do not use a tripod, in case I do this is because there is not enough light and I have to work below 1/80 sec (some of my shots are made at 1/10sec
- shoot your animals a eye height when it looks into the camera
- reflection can be avoided by pointing the camera into a inclination so that the flash bounces in just above the place you aim at. This works well with macro shots since there you are close to the window to get the rebounce.
Well more as questions come in

M

mark

Well, I’m still a novice at photography so much of it is trail or error. None of the above were taken with a tripod although I do have tripods of various sizes. I’m sure that if I used one I could get more clarity to the picture but when the subject matter is likely to move it becomes a struggle to get the correct positioning with a tripod. The top two photos were taken with no flash and an electric light above, hence the orange glow. When indoors flash-less photography becomes hit or miss depending on the shutter speed required to light the subject. Low light requires a slower the shutter speed and therefore more chance your picture will blur (unless you have a tripod). The others were all taken using a flash. For me a flash works best when there is no angle between the camera and the subject. Any angle and light will bounce, ruining the picture. One of the joys of a digital camera is that you can experiment until you find something that works. I have lots to learn but it’s a fun process.

Edit - Mods: feel free to move this post to the photo technique area...

(Message edited by aartse_tuyn on February 23, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!