Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops ensicauda ensicauda - Amami island

P

paul

Today I made this pics of one of my two years old Amami C.e.e.
This amazing one nearly the whole day is hunting for Hyalella azteca in the plants at the water surface.
24382.jpg

24383.jpg

Paul

P

paul

And this two years old C.e.e. male begins to build out his breeding colour. Look at the shine on the tail.
24445.jpg

Paul

P

paul

In the meantime the breeding coloration developed very well:
26932.jpg

Paul

J

joeri

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Paul Bachhausen (Paul_b) wrote on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 22:09 :</font>

"Today I made this pics of one of my two years old Amami C.e.e.
This amazing one nearly the whole day is hunting for Hyalella azteca in the plants at the water surface."
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Do you feed them Hyalella or is it natural behaviour?

Joeri

P

paul

In all my tanks I have Hyalella azteca!
They reproduce there. So the newts always have something to hunt.

Paul

J

joeri

You must have loads of them.
I had a few of them but they were *all* eaten in no time. (could been something similar, not 100% it was the same)
Haven't seen them for sale yet - and harvesting them was a very intensive and maybe even prohibited thing to do.

Do you have a caresheet for them?
wink.gif

No seriously, do they live on algae and organic waste? I might try to breed some in a separate tank. I liked seeing my cynops hunt them down as well.

Joeri

P

paul

Joeri, I have a caresheet on my homepage, but only in German.
Look at "Futtertiere", then "Mexikanische Bachflohkrebse". With my "Translation" page, you can translate it.

Paul

J

joeri

German is no problem - I have a dictionary
biggrin.gif

I will give this a try some day - doesn't seem to be all that difficult. Guess I'll have to get me a starters batch or catch some again.

Thank you for your help
Joeri

P

paul

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Joeri Wielandts (Xixarro) wrote on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 03:04 :</font>

"... or catch some again. "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Joeri, will be difficult for you to catch Hyalella azteca! For catching this "tropical" cancers you have to make a small trip!
wink.gif

What you catch in Belgium are Gamarus. These are difficult to care.

Paul

P

paul

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Jesper Danielsson (Jesper) wrote on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 11:37 :</font>

"So why is gammarus difficult to care for?"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
They are more difficult to care for than Hyalella azteca, because they need very clean water with good oxygen and low temperatures. No problem in my garden in big tanks, but I always had problems in house.

Paul

(Message edited by Paul_B on November 29, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!