Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aneides aeneus

R

russ

Had a short business trip to KY this week, so as usual I squeezed in a little herping. It was overcast, ~75F and drizzly with the remnants of Ivan moving inland (perfect!). I came across this excellent habitat for A.aeneus (note the cool shirt). <center>
23113.jpg
</center> I kid you not the very first crack I looked in look what was staring back. <center>
23114.jpg
</center> I coaxed it out and sure enough it was a juvy aeneus. <center>
23115.jpg
</center> I found several juveniles within a few minutes but strangely no adults. I finally came across this big male in a large vertical crack. <center>
23116.jpg
</center> Soon after I found this young female out in the open. Keep in mind it was only 4:30 in the afternoon! <center>
23117.jpg
</center> Not bad for an hour.

RUSS

E

erik

Nice! So was this near the area I described? I knew it looked good. That's awesome.

R

russ

You were on the money about this spot. Just a ton of awesome habitat. I'll drop you a note with more details when I get to the office.

RUSS

R

ralf

Thanks for "squeezing" these pics into the forum, Russ. Now I know that there's more than racehorses, bluegrass and bourbon in KY.
biggrin.gif

I

ira

just out of curiousity, how did you coax them out of the rocks?

R

russ

I carry a piece of clothes hanger with the tip folded back on it's self (I can never get that sharp edge off all the way). A couple I just touched with a pine needle. It doesn't take much to get them moving, they're very wiry and fast.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1