Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When to convert juvenile Marmoratus to aquatic?

C

coen

I've been keeping my marmoratus juvies terrestrial for a while now. When would be the best time to convert them to an aquatic environment? Is there a certain size they need to be?

J

jesper

I'd say let them decide for themselves, I put my pygmaeus in semi-aquatic environment from time to time to check if they prefer water - doubt that they ever will really... They are 6 months old now and 8 cm long. I don't mind keeping them terrestrial even though they grow more slowly. I don't really understand why everybody is fussing about forcing newts to be aquatic. I don't have any feeding problems with mine, I just drop pieces of eisenia hortensis to them and they go for them. Not that this post answers your question, but hey!
biggrin.gif

C

coen

I guess I like them more when they're aquatic.
happy.gif

But thanks for the advice, I'll see what i can do in the little tank I have for them.

I don't want to put them in the large tank, because I'm afraid the adults will eat them. Is that a possibility btw?

D

damian

Like Jesper says I think they will decide themselves when they want to enter the water and also agree with him that they are just as easy to keep terrestrial.
I keep mine on land unless they are in breeding condition and have never forced them to enter water.After breeding they have always left the water and returned to the land stage as most do in the wild.
I've kept 2-3inch juveniles in with adults without any problems
Damian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!