Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<font color="0000ff"><i>Cynops pyrrhogaster</i> in the wild - <b>Special!</b></font>

TJ

Reaction score
13855.jpg

13856.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Here's another next to an H.tokyoensis egg sac:

13859.jpg

(these are night shots, by the way
biggrin.gif
)

(Message edited by TJ on March 28, 2004)

S

samuel

Tim, u never cease to amaze
biggrin.gif
. Hmm, not much plants in their pool i realized. I thought they lived in heavily planted lakes and pools.

TJ

Reaction score
Heya Sam. Thanks
happy.gif
Well, I think they just happened to be in this part of the pond at this particular time. A lot of these ponds have fallen leaves in them and I'm told the newts spend a lot of their time among and under these leaves. Anyway, I'll be visiting this very pond tomorrow during the day so let's see what there is to see then
wink.gif

J

jesper

Hi Tim,
Very nice pics.
How about getting us some habitat pics?
smile.gif

It seems to be very beautiful over there. I can see why C.Ensicauda, C.Pyrrhogaster and T.Johnson chose Japan
happy.gif

S

samuel

Hey, while ur there do try to check out the natural prey items of them. shd be very informative for Pyrrhogaster keepers.
biggrin.gif

Sam

TJ

Reaction score
Sorry to keep you in suspense but last weekend's trip was postponed due to heavy rain. It's been reset for Saturday.

The lowland, stillwater target species are C.pyrrhogaster and H.tokyoensis (Tokyo Salamander), while the highland, river-dwelling target species are H.kimurae (Hida Salamander) and Onychodactylus japonicus (Japanese Clawed Salamander).

Jesper, I'll be sure to post more habitat pics.

Sam, budding amateur naturalist I may be
biggrin.gif
, but I doubt I'd be able to identify their natural prey items. There is, however, a detailed report around somewhere about it that I'll try to dig out. I met the person who wrote it and he assured me no newts were sacrificed in the process. Their stomachs were pumped, not dissected. One thing I do know is that C.p are fattening up on tadpoles this time of year
lick.gif

M

mark

Hi Tim nice pics,
Do you know what kind of plant that is in the third pic?
And another question, in your last post you said,
"One thing I do know is that C.p are fattening up on tadpoles this time of year",
does this mean they will be eating the H.tokyoensis larvae that will hatch out of that egg sac?

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks, Mark. But sorry to say I know next to nothing about plants
smile6.gif
As for the H.tokyoensis larvae, I think they're too sharp and quick to be caught in any numbers, if at all, by C.p adults. They have much more to fear from...other H.tokyoensis larvae! The larvae of this species are highly cannibalistic.

TJ

Reaction score
14592.jpg

14593.jpg

These were found in this stream pool:

14594.jpg

A broader view of the same:

14595.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on April 11, 2004)

R

reinder

Hi tim

wow i really like these pics, gives me a good idear how they live,in the mean time my
Cynops pyrrhogaster kanto and intermediate race have started laying eggs and i,m planning to raise about 40 per race.
any breedings out there with other c.p races?

my animals are with locality data and i will post pics soon

Greetings reinder

J

jesper

I must say that the nature seems pretty amazing over there, something in between what we have here and a jungle.

Why do I get the feeling that you are constantly on field trips Tim?
I thought one had to work 24/7 to afford living in Japan
biggrin.gif

Two japanese girls have come to work on the lab I am at, they are so polite that they make me feel like an ogre
smile.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Reinder, glad to hear of your breeding plans. I am currently raising some C.p larvae myself with locality data for the adults, but not seriously. I look forward to seeing those pics
biggrin.gif

Jesper, I made a resolution to get out and about more this year. Last year, I only talked about doing so
smile6.gif

This pic gives a good idea of how they can be really hard to spot:

14608.jpg

C

chris

Have you seen what they eat in those pools?, it looks less abundant in food sources than the ponds you have photgraphed before
Chris

TJ

Reaction score
Chris, I was at this location for only a half hour or so, so I had no time to observe their feeding habits. But I doubt they lack for food as there are plenty of insects and tadpoles in the wider area. The stream is just a short distance away from paddy fields where we had expected to find them, but couldn't. In fact, we were surprised to find them in the stream instead.

Also, I should point out that some of those photos are of newts caught in the meter-deep pool seen in the back in the habitat pics but released in shallow water for observation and picture-taking, so one shouldn't really infer much from them
wink.gif

The pool itself was much too murky to get decent pics. Most of the newts emerged from under fallen, decaying leaves that had sunk to the bottom of the pool. In the shallow area of the stream, the water flow was way too fast for it to be a suitable feeding area for them.

I'll be going back to this site on occasion for more detailed observations, so stay tuned
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
16811.jpg

This time I visited C.p habitats in the northern prefecture of Fukushima, guided by a local amphibian expert.

16812.jpg
16813.jpg

In a valley filled with rice paddies, we found two morphologically dissimilar "types" of pyrrhogaster in close proximity to each other. The first group, gathered from a small irrigation pond, was comprised of newts that were relatively small, smooth and uniformly dark colored on the dorsum, The second group -- found closer to the forest, at a slightly higher elevation, and in only a couple of paddies and adjoining small irrigation canal -- comprised larger newts with lighter color on the dorsum, some of them faintly spotted, and with a somewhat different pattern of venter markings than those of the first group.

(Message edited by TJ on June 15, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
Considering local variation, I thought it'd be interesting to show belly patterns of newts caught in the same pond, rather those from the same prefecture, same district or same village even. These are all from the first group:

16853.jpg

16854.jpg

16855.jpg

16856.jpg

16857.jpg

16858.jpg

16859.jpg

16860.jpg

16861.jpg

16862.jpg

(Message edited by tj on June 15, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1