Will the fish squeezing technique work????

P

paris

ok-im joking there, but i do have a question concerning my gravid S.s.s..

last year when i got my S.s.s. they were gravid and upon arrival they laid within 2 hours. i think the trigger was me placing them from their container to a tupperware with about 1/2 inch ice water. well now its april, a whole year later, the girls are gravid again but no signs of laying them in their water dish, so 4 days ago i put them into 1/2 inch of water in a bare tank with water plants-but still no go! i am worried they might hang onto them too long and some will perish. what do i need to do to trigger them to release them, any ideas????

Paris-

Have you tried playing Barry White yet? Other than that, I'm really not sure. Good Luck!

barry white?? i want to induce labour -not nausea!
lame.gif

I have had a Salamandra produce young on exactly the same date one year later, but they mostly produce "around" the same time each year.

Don't panic Paris, put them back into their usual surroundings, and let nature take it's course.

I have seen fire salamanders drown when kept in just 1/2 inch of water, with no escape to a "dry" area.
sad.gif

(Message edited by mike on April 09, 2005)

I would follow Mike's advice as well. Trust nature; they will know when it is time to release their larvae. Just make sure that clean water is available.

Aw, Come on Paris. While I haven't tried it myself (I'm too afraid to), I'm sure the Barry White Technique will work wonders. I can imagine it now:

Paris inserts a CD into the CD Player. After a few moments the sound of grooving music fills the air, and then "Oh my darling I, I can't get enough of your love, baby...". Paris, in obvious discomfort, runs from the room hands over ears with tears running down. The door is closed posthastely and quickly wrapped in caution tape.

Meanwhile, the female salamandra look at each other, their hearts beating faster as Mr. White's smooth voice warms them over. They know it's the right time; Barry has convinced them of it. They head to the water to lay. Paris returns 3 hours later, half-way expecting to find her beloved sals if not dead, then surely in a miserable "I hate Barry" state. Instead she finds a world record number of eggs.

Isn't it worth a shot, Paris? (If it works let me know, I don't want to try it first.)

Don't think this technique has been tried before....it might work, unless the females in question have a different taste in music
biggrin.gif

These are "proper red-blooded fire salamanders" Jeff, they produce larvae.

That's why Mr. White's renditions won't work.

Now the Grimesthorpe Brass Band would be more to their liking, and Morgs.
wink.gif
Or a touch of eine cleine nachtmusik - eh Ralf.

Or of coarse, for Paris, that classic punk anthem from 1969...BOOM-BANG-ABANG by Lulu.

(Message edited by mike on April 13, 2005)

I forgot about that little detail with salamandra. Now I feel embarrassed
blush.gif
!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back