Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neoteny

J

jarid

Has anyone ever experienced or heard of neoteny in Salamandra?I've raised a lot of fire sals.One of my groups of larvae was a little strange.Mainly larvae colors.Some were very very light etc.Eventually all morphed but 2 or 3.These lasted about a month after the others before morphing and were HUGE.2 of them morphed now and are just big baby fires.It's been around a month (i think) since the last 2 morphed.The last one is still a larva with full gills, full adult color, still has tail fins, and has developed ALL of its paratoid glands.It still eats... a lot.I'm wondering if it will ever morph.hehe He's very cool too.When I come by his tank he runs out from hiding and begs for food.Anyone experienced anything like this?

F

francesco

How long is it?I had a couple of s.salamamdra larvae that metamorphosed measuring more o less 6-7 cm long.However the later they metamorphose the better because they are stronger against bacterial infections.Can you post a picture of it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!