Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

O<i>nychodactylus</i> taxonomy

W

william

does anyone know how closely related this genus is to others in the hynobiidae family? surely the presence of claws and the lack of lungs would mean that it would be placed in it's own subfamily like protohynobius? just a query.

H

henk

Well I think Willima referes to cornified toes which streamtype salamnanders do have and which help them crawl up on the slippery stones against the stream. In some streamtype hynobidae these are already present in some adults. In a species like Pachyhynobius they are quite prominent, but there are many other examples there.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi William,

Japanese batrachologists (why do people shun this nice word?!) may have a different view on things, but the 1988 publication Studies on Chinese Salamanders (Ermi Zhao, Yaoming Jiang, Qixiong Hu, Yuhua Yang) offers this phylogeny of the seven genera of Hynobiidae based on morphological character analysis and comparisons:

48561.jpg

...as opposed to these earlier ones:

48562.jpg

So you can see from this that Onychodactylus it is considered more derivative than some other genera.

Onychodactylus is indeed the only member of Hynobiidae that lacks lungs, but Liua and Batrachuperus also have cornified coverings (on their palms, soles, fingers and toes). Still, only Onychodacuylus has what is described in the report as "sharp claw-like coverings"

This report has a very nicely detailed comparison of the hynobiid genera, aside from what's mentioned above.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1