The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Old 17th June 2001   #1
zach

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am trying to breed Central Long-toed Salamanders, and Boreal Toads, But I don't know how. I know they need a cool period, but how do i get it that cold? And if i did produce larvea, what do I feed them? And who would like juviniles if i have some for sale? Email me if you have suggestions.

Old 18th June 2001   #2
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Zach, this are many questions to put outi n just one phrase.

I have A. macrodactylum nominate species, which I keep in my gardenhouse (frostfree in winter , but close to 0°Celsius ). the tank consists out of broken stones with openhole (bricks with isolating perforations), on top of which I install mosscovers (sphaghnum alike). They hide in those mosspolls or inbetween the holes in the stones. The tank is soaking wed and filled with 15 cm of water. In the water I keep twiglike plants (substrate for eggdposition). I have reporduced them the last 3 years. I currently have F-2 generations and some other people have even bred f-3 out of my offpsringanimals.

Food : earthworms, tubifex, slugs, fly-maggots... in fact anything that is soft and which they can overpower.

For feeding larvae I would refer to my article in the axolotl newsletter nr 28 (it's downloadable) at http://www.indiana.edu/~axolotl/newsletter/newsltr.html.

Take the time to download it , I think/hope it is worth it

Old 23rd April 2002   #3
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

IN 2002 we had a major faalback in Europe for this species, with several animals dying off with several keepers (the same age groups). So I am happy to be able to annouce thatr I will at least have 25 juveniles again of my 5th consecutive breeding. Lucky for me I kept 5 juveniles from the former breedings so that next year, if all goes well I may breed them again. It seems that this species is not longliving and that we should take in mind to keep several age groups in order to be able to continue our work. Other then that they are not that difficult to keep, rear or breed and I kind of like them alot !

Old 10th February 2004   #4
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well this year seems to be ok. with some warm spell and cooling off lately my longtoeds got triggered and I found quite some eggs stuck between the fontinalis. In total I have about 3 of those clumps off eggs. Sincerally hope I will be able to rear them (if they are fertilised)
Here's an image : http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...hp?photo=13722

Old 11th February 2004   #5
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice picture Henk. I'm sure Rob is jealous.Good luck with the eggs and keep us posted

Old 11th February 2004   #6
rob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Give it a few years, and hopefully I can place photos like that up here! Click the image to open in full size.

Old 20th February 2004   #7
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well it seems that quite some of those eggs were indeed fertilised, so my year is good already...

Old 20th February 2004   #8
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That's great news Henk. A very good start

Old 21st February 2004   #9
pin-pin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

congrats Henk! Shoot some pictures.

Old 22nd February 2004   #10
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well I have dropped my digital camera and the lense broke. It still works from time to time for closeups, but .. not for tele. (Here me cursing ?). That's one of the disadvantages of a bridge camera I guess...

Old 24th February 2004   #11
uwe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Congratulation Henk on the breeding.

Good start for 2004!

Uwe

Old 24th February 2004   #12
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well thanks for the congrats... will still take a time to rear them but I will do so with much pleasure. I only hope I succeed in rearing a good group since the French group seems to be interested in getting some ....to exten their groups
Overall this species doesn't seem to be doing so well under captive conditions, few seem to be the ones that can keep them for a longer period : loosing interest or standing of the offspring to quickly. I try to keep a group o 6 to 8 each year of my own offspring since they do no seem to be so longliving after all...(about 5 to 6 years to my knowledge)

Tags
breeding, longtoed, salamanders

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 18 (Set)

454, Argus654, Axel01, bruiser1, dane_zu, desertiguana, Greewok, HerpADerp, Herpin Man, instanbull, Jan, Jari B, Kakapocrack, MarioR, mechanic380, nelso229, orion, Sebas2000