Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding P.ruber

U

uwe

Is there any report on successfully breeding Pseudotriton ruber?

Thanky for information.

Uwe

E

edward

The only reports I am aware of came out of the Cincinnati Zoo, and were mentioned in Captive Management Conservation of Amphibians and Reptiles in the chapter by Maruska. Unfortunatley any details other than it occured are lacking (reading what was published makes it sound like they were bred over a number of years in a shoebox with paper towels.
In a slow moving stream setup, I did get the males to combat for territory after I took them down to about 4 C and some courtship behavior was observed. The females will develop eggs at a warmer temperature and the eggs can be seen through the abdomen.

Ed

U

uwe

Thank you Ed, but this supports my opinion that there is not much described.

Uwe

E

eike

I know I've see a report by Peter Frank Dippold once but I can't find it now.

Eike

S

sebastian

Hello Eike,

Peter Frank Dippold?
Are you sure of you?
Haste you one whitewash?
However, it did not come to a batch of eggs to a slip.
Nobody saw this breed.
I consider it a dream.

A breed must look like this:
50026.jpg

This is my breed 2005 of Pseudotriton.

A

alex

Great achievement Sebastian.
Maybe you could share your way of getting this unique result?

J

jennifer

Congratulations, Sebastian! I hope you will write and share the full details somewhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1