Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ensatina photos

P

paris

here are a few pics of my Ensatina eschscholtzi platensis, they are sub adults and a juvie-like arboreals the juvie was slow to grow then went through a growth spurt where it almost caught up with the sub adult, this is the sub adult-i believe it to be a male

38908.jpg

38909.jpg

here is the juvie-it may be a female
38910.jpg

38911.jpg

P

paris

here are some shots of my adult female E.e.klauberi
the girth of the tail is what indicates this is a female (males have thinner tails and a 'squared off' nose)
38941.jpg

38942.jpg

here is a pic of her in my hand to help give an indication of her size
38943.jpg

here is a shot of what she live in-i kept her and a male in a bigger set up but he died-possibly cause i kept the substrate too damp (these guys like it drier than one would expect) she has done well in this set up for over a year so i am reluctant to give her a new one since she is doing well in this one.
38944.jpg

R

russ

Nice klaub. I'll have to post a pic of the adult female I picked up in Pine Valley this year, awesome deep orange.

Moisture is definitely problematic with Ensatina. Especially when you're trying to provide a damp nesting spot without saturating the entire enclosure.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1