Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Pleuros

B

benjamin

While I've been keeping newts for sometime, yesterday I bought my first Pleuros (5juveniles). One of the first things I noticed about these guys is their appetites, they just seem to eat and eat. I've got some pictures of them and their set up. I'm going to upgrade them to a bigger tank, so any suggestions for improvements in the set up would be welcome.

77224.jpg

That's the tank, don't be alarmed by the heater or the condensation, I've got the heater on a timer at its lowest setting (20ºc) in order to keep the tank around 17º. I've done away with the filter and gravel, while planting it heavily with oxygenators. I also have a turtle dock in the back.

77225.jpg

(above and below) This one newt has alarmed me with the amount it eats, consuming roughly the same quantity of food of its 4 tank mates combined, and they eat plenty. The newt's gotten quite large (it doesn't look bloated), is there any chance that it could become fat? I'm thinking if it stays fat like this I'm going to name it Jabba.
77226.jpg

Here are some shots I took of the other ones:
77227.jpg

77228.jpg

77229.jpg

J

jim

The fat one may turn out to be female, my females eat alot more than the males.

justin

Reaction score
That's right, my females consume much more than my single male...He seems too preoccupied with amplexing the ladies!

He's from the same brood and my females are about twice his size. I've got three of them in a 15 gallon tank and they all have equal access to food during feeding times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1