Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Waltl vs. axolotl

P

paris

57520.jpg

i put some axies into my p waltl tank while doing a full water change on the bucket they were in. this girl was fast! since they had just been fed, the axies were big enough (i thought), and it was only going to be about 5 mins - i thought it wouldnt be an issue...but hey, you can see the results! she actually got most of it down whole-you can see the tail was bit off-but the rest went down in about 5-6 minutes. she never spit it out too-she was like a dog with a bone!

K

kyle

hah
That's quite the shot! It's too bad your waltl didn't heed the warning left in your signature, maybe it should be broadened to include newts, salamanders, and other amphibians which could be seen as food items.

J

joan

Paris, this is an awesome example of why species mixing's not a great idea, even temporarily. Although, I am sorry about the loss of the axolotl. At least you won't have to feed the waltl next week.

P

paris

actually joan, its not really a 'loss', yes i am down 1 axie, but the only reason i had these was they had gotten too big to feed to my spring sals. (dont tell the axie forum or i'll be lynched!) i had them in a bucket because the pet store took only 5 of the 15 biggies i had in trade. i just wanted to point out how fast and driving this well fed waltl female took after it...the others ,however, were fine and no other waltl of my 6 adults went after them.

J

jacob

Good God! What a newt! I had a similar incident with some of my P.waltl and larval axolotls from last year. I (stupidly) put a tub of axie larvae on the top of the waltl tank and it slid at the edge and fell in. Since I was not in the room at the time I wasn't even aware that it happened. 25 little axolotls went in, 17 came out, but I learned.

C

cameron

wow that is one Big newt! Poor axie! Guess that's life in the amphibian world.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!