The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 24th November 2006   #1
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Continuation of the tread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/message...tml?1164350685

My female laying eggs:
Click the image to open in full size.
Here you see how the cloaca "works", laying eggs deep between two leaves.

Eight eggs in one series:
(one week old)

Paul

Old 25th November 2006   #2
andy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow, Paul...what a great sight to see. Thanks for sharing. Now if only mine would do the same thing!

Old 25th November 2006   #3
jef janssens
(jef)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jef has started on the right path

congratulations paul!
my female is looking gravid for a month or so, but still no eggs.

jef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006   #4
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well well this is looking very good. All my animals now develop a nice white tail ... It's nice to se but ... don't know wether I need to laugh or cry ???

Nice to see that these Paramesotriton also lay there eggs in row like we are sued to see from other paramesotritons (so they read the good book). Much success in rearing them Paul...

Old 27th November 2006   #5
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

"All" your animals, Henk? Females too?

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006   #6
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

All my animals indeed , but if they contain females that's aonther question ... think all are males (there's one doubtfull case), so that's why ... Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th November 2006   #7
ralf

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yet another good reason to establish a registry for this species.

Old 28th November 2006   #8
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree Ralf!
We urgently need a registry for laoensis, for breeding groups and changing information - as much as possible!
And we need a lot of breeding, that we never will have mass imports of this species.

Paul

Old 28th November 2006   #9
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm willing to register them into the H. dunni setup software as I demonstrated in Gersfeld 2005. But I do not have sufficient time to establish the same efforts 'literature study, breeding data gathering) as for my H. dunni with this species. So if I can help with the register of this species, I am open to a joint collaboration with someone else ... and just for the good order my communication channel to actualise the studbook is email.
Also i someone else wants to cover it all , then I'll be happy to join in as a regular member.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 29th November 2006   #10
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Jep Henk, that sounds good!
Perhaps we can do it together?

Paul

Old 29th November 2006   #11
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

So far Henk, there is of course very little literature available on this species!
That's another reason why a register is very important.
But don't forget that it is also important to show to the outside world that you take the keeping of this species in captivity serious. There is a global program starting where zoos are going to start captive breeding programs for endangered species. although P. laoensis is perhaps not threatened in nature, it's distribution area is very small and a few big exports can for sure damage populations. It is therefor important to show that we as keepers take it serious and try to establish a stud book for this species.

Old 29th November 2006   #12
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Can not agree more Sergé, so I am willing to take part and help, but can certainly now, not carry the whole load.

Old 30th November 2006   #13
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi!
Here the eggs now are 2,5 weeks:

Paul

Old 30th November 2006   #14
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Glorious! Click the image to open in full size.

And what interesting coloration they start out with!

My 2 (3?) females are getting acquainted with the new plants in their aquarium...and hopefully scouting out oviposition sites...

Old 6th December 2006   #15
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Any update for us on those eggs, Paul?

Old 7th December 2006   #16
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

@Tim, nothing new until now!
16 to 18 °C and the eggs develope very slow. Nearly four weeks until now and I think it will take one or two weeks until the first larvae slip.
But delicate to fungus! Lost some fertile eggs! Click the image to open in full size.
I think, other do well, but I am waiting Click the image to open in full size..

Paul

Old 9th December 2006   #17
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here a new photo:

3,5 weeks

Paul

Old 13th December 2006   #18
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Dear friends!

In the meantime I got E-mail from several people to build up this Register, and we already did it.
Have a look at www.ag-urodela.de
Here "Molchregister"
There you can see, that Gustavo Espallargas now is the new godfather of a P.laoensis and a P.deloustali Register.

So, if you want to give some support, please write to Gustavo.

Paul

Old 13th December 2006   #19
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks for the great photo Paul.

I will be happy to register my 4 P. laoensis if what is envisaged is an international register and not just a European one Click the image to open in full size. Good work!

Old 20th December 2006   #20
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Jep ....Click the image to open in full size.
Five and a half week!
I brought the temperature from 16°c up to 20 °C.
Yesterday the first Larva slipped.

In the meantime I have six.
What can I say?
They look like larvaeClick the image to open in full size. - 14 mm!
Paul

Tags
breeding, laoensis, paramesotriton

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 90 (Set)

ahritchie, Alberto, alexps, Allistor, andrew, arienette, babamba, Barry, beefsteak, callina, Caudata breeder, caudatadude28, Chinadog, cichlidjedi, craig, cynopsonico, Davo, Diogo Juliao, drj, eljorgo, elKendo97, Ezequiel Nahuel, felizycontento, Francoz, FredLikesNewts, futura2000, GeoNewt, Greewok, Hooky87, horsefieldi, Italicus, jackj921, jasper408, jef, jewett, Jimmyg, jmailhot, Joe Blecha, JoshBA, juraj, kimbo, KJ_29, Larryjo08, madeve, michael, MikeSTL, Molch, morg, mr cyclone, Musty, Neotenic_Jaymes, newt keeper, newt newbie, newtguyDave, nilo22, onetwentysix, Otterwoman, Pachytriton, peter5930, Peter7474, petro, Phantom, profesor, red_dragon, richard kingham, Robespierre, Robk, Roho, sanjuanita82, shinobido, shnabo, skyler, SnotOtter, Spectacled90, sponyc, stranger23, summit7781, SUZY, TomaszJanulewic, tony, troutnerd, xenopus, Yahilles, Yansolo, yellowman4005, zoezakella, zook