Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Can anybody top this?
biggrin.gif

19704.jpg

(19cm or 7-and-and-half inches if perfectly straight)

Hello Tim
Yes the belly pattern is completely different from deloustali.

Do you guys have access to a variety of deloustali belly patterns from different populations or something?

I thought deloustali was restricted to basically one very small steam at one locality.

Ed

Nate, I've only seen a few belly pics of deloustali, and I'm only guessing that the one pictured at the top is not the same species. I certainly don't know for sure. I'll post a couple of deloustali pics here, starting with this one from the above report:

19825.jpg

This is no proof, but here are the bellies of the ones I had briefly that I suspect were deloustali

19829.jpg

19830.jpg

Here it is:

19838.jpg

Source: "Tam Dao -- Sanctuary Under Seige"
National Geographic (vol.195, No. 6, June 1999):

Heh, well you've certainly seen more bellies than I'd thought
wink.gif

The newt presents us with a few choices...either it's a guangxiensis that is inexplicably 5-7cm larger than normal, it's deloustali, or it's one of the undescribed Paramesotriton that show up. Or at least, I think undescribed species show up, but I'm sort of in a minority on that one I think. The belly patterns on these animals are not too far removed from the deloustali pattern see on the far right of the second photo of your 6th post on this thread. What do you think?

Nate, I can see what you're saying. With mine, however, the red blotches are more jagged, less rounded than is the case with the deloustali pictured above, though I know that's not conclusive...

I have a pair of them, and the vent on one of the two is even more different than those pictured above. One of them is darker than the other and the vent pattern is a bit like that of a P.chinensis, but given their similar size and overall appearance, I assume they're the same species (and I don't mean chinensis).

19876.jpg

19877.jpg

19878.jpg

19879.jpg

One explanation for the size was that the person who kept it for at least several years before me fed it large amounts of food, including giant mealworms, so I hear. In fact, that person is the same as that who kept the huge C.ensicauda that I recently posted a pic of, and he also possessed a truly massive T.verrucosus...

Tim,
On a random thought were they fed Zoophobas or the giant Tenebrio larva?
I ask as the giant Tenebrio are hormone fed to prevent metamorphosis are are a larger size as a result.
I wonder if the hormones had anything to do with the size of these as well as the giant cynops.
Ed

When the saying "This thing must be on steroids!" Is a reality!
crazy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back