The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 1st August 2004   #1
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Can anybody top this? Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
(19cm or 7-and-and-half inches if perfectly straight)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2004   #2
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well, deloustali is known to reach 20cm...hmmmm....

Old 2nd August 2004   #3
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What a monster! Can you expose ventral side too ?

Old 2nd August 2004   #4
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hi Juraj.

It's already been exposed:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/18861.jpg

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/18843.jpg

Their belly pattern is dissimilar to deloustali, at least in my recollection.

I have a pair of this species, roughly the same size.
I'll put up a belly shot, with them together, next chance I get Click the image to open in full size.

Old 2nd August 2004   #5
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello Tim
Yes the belly pattern is completely different from deloustali.

Old 2nd August 2004   #6
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Do you guys have access to a variety of deloustali belly patterns from different populations or something?

Old 2nd August 2004   #7
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I thought deloustali was restricted to basically one very small steam at one locality.

Ed

Old 2nd August 2004   #8
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

No, Ed, deloustali has a wider range than originally thought. Its
distribution includes Vinh Phuc, Thai Nguyen, Tuyen Quang, Bac Can, Lao Cai and Yen Bai
provinces, from what I have read.

See:
http://www.wing-wbsj.or.jp/~vietnam/pdf/reportHG.pdf

Old 2nd August 2004   #9
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Nate, I've only seen a few belly pics of deloustali, and I'm only guessing that the one pictured at the top is not the same species. I certainly don't know for sure. I'll post a couple of deloustali pics here, starting with this one from the above report:

Old 2nd August 2004   #10
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here's a AmphiaWeb pic by Sparreboom:

http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/imgs/512...1111/0556.jpeg

Old 2nd August 2004   #11
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

This is no proof, but here are the bellies of the ones I had briefly that I suspect were deloustali

Old 2nd August 2004   #12
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Hold on, there are more. Take these for instance:

source: http://www.undp.org.vn/projects/parc/docs/bn25.pdf

Now, I have to track down the National Geographic pics...

Old 2nd August 2004   #13
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here it is:

Source: "Tam Dao -- Sanctuary Under Seige"
National Geographic (vol.195, No. 6, June 1999):

Old 2nd August 2004   #14
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Tim,

Ed

Old 3rd August 2004   #15
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Heh, well you've certainly seen more bellies than I'd thought Click the image to open in full size.

The newt presents us with a few choices...either it's a guangxiensis that is inexplicably 5-7cm larger than normal, it's deloustali, or it's one of the undescribed Paramesotriton that show up. Or at least, I think undescribed species show up, but I'm sort of in a minority on that one I think. The belly patterns on these animals are not too far removed from the deloustali pattern see on the far right of the second photo of your 6th post on this thread. What do you think?

Old 3rd August 2004   #16
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Nate, I can see what you're saying. With mine, however, the red blotches are more jagged, less rounded than is the case with the deloustali pictured above, though I know that's not conclusive...

I have a pair of them, and the vent on one of the two is even more different than those pictured above. One of them is darker than the other and the vent pattern is a bit like that of a P.chinensis, but given their similar size and overall appearance, I assume they're the same species (and I don't mean chinensis).

One explanation for the size was that the person who kept it for at least several years before me fed it large amounts of food, including giant mealworms, so I hear. In fact, that person is the same as that who kept the huge C.ensicauda that I recently posted a pic of, and he also possessed a truly massive T.verrucosus...

Old 4th August 2004   #17
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

breed please !

Old 5th August 2004   #18
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim,
On a random thought were they fed Zoophobas or the giant Tenebrio larva?
I ask as the giant Tenebrio are hormone fed to prevent metamorphosis are are a larger size as a result.
I wonder if the hormones had anything to do with the size of these as well as the giant cynops.
Ed

Old 5th August 2004   #19
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

When the saying "This thing must be on steroids!" Is a reality!

Old 5th August 2004   #20
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Making ´false zophobas´from tenebrio by hormones ? Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
length, maximum, paramesotriton