Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gills growing back to the old days?

M

morrissey

Hi!

Here's the new photos of Emily, who's had some bad moment with it's ex-keeper...I'm feeding her now around 2 pellets everyday, I'm just wondering if there's any chance her gills will grow back like any other axie? Her gills's pretty small and strange in curl.

74271.jpg

74272.jpg

K

karrie

When I first got my axie (cracker). The pet shop told me to keep in a tropical tank with gravel.Wrong; he's gills got eaten off put him in the right sort of set up. He's gills grew back better than ever one of them looks like a y now. The only thing mine really started to eat alot more food when they were growing back. Went back to normal after a bit.

M

matthew

ive seen 4 year old axies with gills like that; I wonder if with age the gills get smaller also

A

amber

Spyyk holds one set of gills flat to her head. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

If the axolotl decides to grow them, she will
happy.gif

M

morrissey

Thanks for the advice, at the same time, I notice Emily's toe's are not a normal axolotl's toe? I meant, the shape of her toes are kind of "round", I think Axie should have a sharper toe?

L

leah

If she's a fully grown adult, they may not regenerate at all, or might only do so very slowly. Older axolotls don't regenerate as well as the little ones
happy.gif

I got my Aximander when she was fully grown, from a store that had her in a tank with several small axolotls that had nipped her gills almost completely off. On the left side, they were bitten down level with the back of her head, and a only a little better on he right side.

You can see pictures of her back in this thread (and a few others if you do a search for "Aximander")
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/35095.html

While the actual gill stalks (no idea of proper name for it!) haven't gotten much longer in the 18 months or so that I've had her, the gill filaments (?) are MUCH fluffier and fuller- like she's got pom-poms stuck to the side of her head! :D

(Message edited by trip on December 08, 2006)

M

morrissey

Hi Leah,

Emily's gills weren't been nipped actually, it just grew into very short and seems a bit downward? I thought normally they got a upward gills?

She's actually 4 years old already....does anybody know about the toes problem? She doesn't have a sharp one!

Here's a video of her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPAkkuelKc

And new photos.
happy.gif

74469.jpg

74470.jpg

kapo

Reaction score
Emily's gills look like our 3yr old axies gills, but they only have very fine/short gill filaments. Their gills were damaged thru bad water quality. And they do sit back like yours too, I know what you mean, but will occasionally flick them forward esp. when they come out for food. Emily has more frilly gills than ours do, tho the frilly bits are regenerating, albeit slowly, its been over 10.5months to grow the little fine bits they have. The gill stubs are short like Emily's too. Our other 3yr old axies have normal healthy looking gill stubs and filaments.

As for the toe tips it might be the way they regenerated if her toes/feet had been damaged at all when she was with previous owner. Our axies do\n't all have pointed toe tips. Some of ours have very webby feet too.

Does Emily always swim with her front leg close to her back?

M

morrissey

Hi Kapo,

Thanks for your reply, it's a very good reference to me.

I believe that what you said about the toe, it must has been nipped by fish or something, as I heard that he used to feed her fish! That scared me!

She always swim with both of her front legs close to her back, she's like that since the day she came...but the video's rare only with one hand aside...she usually keep both of her front legs like that when swim.

and Emily does has a pair of big eyes? Does her? ha!
happy.gif

A

amber

As I was saying about Spyyk's gills, she holds one set up, and one set down, just like Emily's.

She has lovely eyes lol!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1