Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank full of sick axies

S

sin

Where to begin... my tank has been fine for the past few months and i thought I had no problems but as of last week the following has happened:

1. I bought a new axie (Gumball), who came home with a nasty little bite on his tail and wasn't eating, i salt bathed him twice a day for a week and he was still stressed out and not eating, so i decided to take a chance and put him in my tank.

2. That night i fed the tank a bunch of meal worms for a treat, then the next day i opened the fridge only to find that all the meal worms in the container had died.

3. Next day the axies were fine except for my little albino who wouldn't eat, then over the next couple of days he got very bloated and his gills started to shrivel and another one, Ash started to swim across the surface of the water like he was trying to get out. I removed both from the tank promptly and put them in the fridge to isolate them from the others.

4. My albino died on monday after getting progressively bloated and Ash settled down fine.

5. I stuck Ash back in the tank on Friday morning, he ate a meal on friday night of prawns and I work up to find him deceased on Saturday morning. He'd been previously burnt badly by ammonia twice a few months ago and his gills had never grown back so he spent alot of time at the surface of the water and it's almost like he had simply drowned when i picked him out of the tank.

6. Last night i discovered that another one is starting to float and very sluggish and bright red in colour, she's now in the fridge and refuses any food and is very bloated.

7. All the others seem fine, my new one Gumball is all most fully healed and eating well and the rest in the tank have got good appetites.

I'm assuming that my albino and ash were both poisoned from the meal worms, but I have no clue as to what has upset Azumi, the ammonia, nitrates, nitrates & ph are all fine, they're on sand, I put some purigen in the tank roughly 3 weeks ago and do a 25% water change every week religiously.

Any thoughts on what's going on? whether it's simply some form of bacteria that's gotten into the tank or disease? I'm really at a loss as to what to do and worried sick that my others will get sick as well.

S

sam

I am not an expert and dont want to scare you but my two axies died about a month ago and they both went bright red in colour and bloated, I went to an exotic pet vet over here in England and it turned out that they both had septicemia which is blood poisioning, the redness was that they had hemorrhaged, but once that has happened it has gone to far, its due to stress, over crowding or bad husbundary. Your others can be treated if they have not gone to far. Really sorry if this is the case with yours.

S

sharn

hmmm, why were all the threads in here deleated cause it had a fair few replies... if like to get my hands on that hacker!

S

sin

damn who ever screwed up the forum and thanks to those who did reply, it was a very frustrating time.

well, i've come to the conclusion that the loss of the axies was due to the off meal worms.

all are fine now except for one, she's suffering from 2 broken toes and isn't eating which i say is simply from stress.

any way, thanks again to all who did reply. I have replaced the 3 i lost and whilst they aren't the same, i'm very fond of them all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1