HELP!!! My axie's back leg is twisted Back!!! I need help!!

C

chantel

I just came home and I found that one of my axie's back legs are twisted back and is quite red and has a little bit of this whitish stuff on her toes. She also has a red mark on her belly! Can sumbody please help me? i'm really worried!!!

Chantel - Is your axolotl living with fish or another axolotl?

Could it of got its leg caught in a tank decoration or filter intake?

I would remove it from the tank and isolate it in a small food safe container (with lid) in some of your tank water. Keep the container cool and the water clean. You could put the container in the fridge to cool the axolotl down and help it heal.

If the axolotls skin is broken you may want to give some salt baths to keep fungus away.
2 teaspoons of salt dissolved in 2 liters of water soak for 10 min twice a day.

Use the same temperature water for water changes and salt baths.

she is living with 2 other axies. I just gave her a salt bath for 10 mins and put her in the frigde for that time. What is the longest time I can leave her in the fridge? With the filter the is no way she could have been caught in it there is only one hole and that one pushes air out. It filters through a sponge and coals. Do you think she could have been attacked? I have 3 females. Thank you

Chantel - axolotls can stay in the fridge (according to I.U) for up to 30 days, so yes you can leave her in there for now. Keep her water clean and watch for infection or fungus on her injury. Offer her food daily, but remember in the fridge she will probably not eat as much as she did in the tank.

If her skin is not broken then you do not need to salt bath her.

She was probably bitten by your other axolotls.
You need to make sure your axolotls have lots of hiding places where they can escape each others aggression. Feed them well so they are not as likely to snap at each other in search of food.

Some axolotls are aggressive and don't like sharing their space. As they mature they bully each other for space.

If your axolotls keep fighting you may want to put in tank separators or move them to their own separate tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back