Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taking care of wounded axolotl

D

dine

hello, i have a serious problem with one axolotl
errr.gif

one week ago, i found one of my 3 axolotls, a leucistic, in very bad state with the end of tail much damaged with some blood, and some toes also damaged [see pictures]. i think its the only female and that she was attacked by the others [few days before i found the other leucistic with her arm in his mouth, he wouldnt leave her and they were swimming like this thru all aquarium for a moment, but then it stopped and there was no wounding or anything.] i cannot find any other explanation of what could happen.
immediately i isolated the axolotl in another tank with clean water treated with Aqua+ [Nutrofin], in a dark place in calm, with a place to hide. she was looking really bad and freaked out.
I change the water every day and try to feed her different things but she wont eat nothing.
A white fluffy stuff grew on some of her damaged nails/toes and around the tail wounding. a strange piece of mucus of white-yellow-green colors went out of her cloaca, i took it out.
i began to give her 10-15 minutes salty bath one time per day since 1st oct. i try to keep the temperature of water low [14 to max. 19 degrees celsius] with bottles of iced water.
today is the 5th day i make salty baths, she looks less stressed, most part of white stuff went out, but the tail still looks very bad and most of all, she still refuses to eat anything i propose her.
i dont know what to do else, i guess the white stuff is fungal infection on wound, i hope its not growing back. i wanted to try mercurochrome but its impossible to find it in Czech republic where i live, as anything like Merbromin, and im afraid to use something else. i cannot get advices around me and in pet shops they deal with axolotls as with fishes.
if somebody here can give me some advice it would be great! thanx

D

dine

first days of problem. then the transparent part at the end of tail and some damaged nails get covered by white fluffy stuff.

23989.jpg

23990.jpg

23991.jpg

D

dine

todays pictures. the transparent part of tail covered by white stuff desintegrated and today it almost completely went away.

23999.jpg

24000.jpg

24001.jpg

24002.jpg

24003.jpg

24004.jpg

M

mik

Dine, sure you are aware by now that axies are the gods of healing. Great isn't it!

You could help things along by giving a short salt bath. It help in the event you can't by any other suitable anti fungal drops....I have used protozin with success do you have that in Czech?

D

dine

yes its incredible this regeneration processus! and very interesting too... even i would not like this happen again, what a stress!! but today Moza [its her name] looks much better, no more white fungus, and the tail is obviously growing back. anyway i leave her in the quarantaine tank alone, and continue to change water every day. it looks the salty baths did work, i gave her 10 minutes bath every day for one week. i guess i can stop it now?
i dont know what is protozin? isit sold in pharmacy?
my main problem now is that she still doesnt want to eat nothing :[ it begins to be long time without food, more than a week! does somebody knows how long time can an axolotl survive without eating??
but she doesnt look to loose weight... few weeks before she get much rounder on the belly, this is the reason why i think she is a she.

K

karisha

You may think this is a silly question, but this is all pretty new to me. Exactly how do you give one a salt bath? What ratio of salt/water, and do you completely submerge them? I would think that it would kill them.

D

dine

what i did is i put in a small plastic tub 1 litre of aged water (tap water stayed over night to get chlore out) where i diluted before one teaspoon of non treated sea salt. i submerged the axoltl for 10 minutes, then i put him back in his tank, where in the meantime i changed the water. i did that everyday for 7 days. now the fungus seems gone, but im not sure if i should continue the salty baths or not. Moza is still not eating nothing, but her tails growin back...
im not sure all im doing is exact treatment but i try to follow the website of John Clare and a a book by Peter W. Scott, and i transform into nurse each evening since a week...
happy.gif

H

heather

Dine- earlier you said that she is refusing to eat everything you offered her. If you havent tried earthworms you really should, everyone has good luck with those
hope your Moza gets better fast

D

dine

well i really dont know what to do anymore...
sad.gif

Moza was looking better but now its going down again. 2 days ago she got very swollen belly and she's floating on the surface, unbalanced.
half of her body is out of water and it looks bad, with red veins like it would explode.
everyday i change the water and take out from her damaged feet small pieces of white stuff which i guess is fungus. there are some too on the end of the tail where its wounded.
i stopped the salt baths after a week cause im not sure its good to make this too long [??] and now with her skin looking so bad im afraid to use anything.
i've been to pet shops but i cannot find any of the secure remedies listed on John's webpage. the only thing i found is MYCOPUR by Sera*, does anybody has an experience of this with axololts?
in Peter W. Scott's book i read you can also treat fungal infections with Chloramine, but he doesnt says in which doses and if its ok to use in case of wounded axolotl. i found in drugstore Chloramine BM which is a very strong disinfectant killing bacteries, fungi and so on.
its 2 weeks now since the problem began... she still refuses any food...shes just keeping mouth shut in front of evrything.
the quarantaine tank contains 6 litres of water treated with Nutrofin Aqua Plus, no filter or flowing water to not stress the axolotl. i do total water changes everyday, and clean the tank with soap and rinse 100 times.
please, if you have any serious advice to give me, i dont know if im doing well and what to do now
sick.gif

*[SERA mycopur = Acriflavine : 210 mg, Sufate cuivrique : 112,5 mg, Chlorure cuivrique : 15 mg, Eau purifiŽe ad : 100 ml]}

K

kim

Dine,

Take moza to the vet... my baby spunky had the same problem, she became huge and red and was floating on her side, but it was too late
sad.gif

I got some anitbotics for her but it had gone too far.

Get her to the vet ASAP.

If you like to know more about spunky go to the floating thread.

(Message edited by jigglypuff on October 12, 2004)

Varrick

Reaction score
the only thing i found is MYCOPUR by Sera*, does anybody has an experience of this with axololts?

I am currently treating an axolotl with fungus with Mycopur, and I think it works decently. It is not harmful to your axolotl. Because there was little information about the product and axolotls available, I decided to use it because of little information on a german axolotl forum. The people at the pet shop said I should use it at half the dose, just to be sure, but after a while i started to use the normal dose and this didn't do any harm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!