Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!!! My axolotl is sick

C

carlos

Hi, I'm really worry about my axolotl, I think He got sick already. Today, I found that it cannot swim normal, it raise up the right hand and right leg, when it is swimming and make it nearly reverse it's body, also it cannot walk normal. What can I help for it???

M

mik

Ok Carlos, we can see English isn't your first language so it's difficult to make out exactly what you mean. Can you tell us what your first language maybe someone here speaks the same.

It would help if you could post a photo and tell us how long you have owned this axolotl. Was it ok and then suddenly got sick? Can you tell us about the tank you keep it in?

Due to the language difficulties we might end up with confusion so I reccommend that you take it straight to a vet.

K

katy

if i'm understanding this right, the right side of its body is floating? so it nearly goes upside down? maybe it has swallowed some air - try putting it in a tub with very low water, just enough to cover it so that it stays on the ground, for a few days, and see if that helps.

as mik said, though, you might need to find a vet that treats axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1