Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

RIP

K

kim

well guys,

I have some sad news Spunky died this morning. I got up to find him still floating but his skin was very pale.. his swelling had seem to have gone down.. but he was very life less and had no blood in his gills.

Im very sad but on the other hand happy that he doesnt have to suffer anymore.
sad.gif

He has now been burried in my garden(next to the budgie).

Im really upset its my birthday today.

RIP Spunky!

K

kaysie

I'm sorry Kim. Its very sad to lose a loved pet (I had my share of hamsters). But he will always live on in the stories and antics you shared.

C

carl

sorry to hear that i lost my newt and i was sad to but i was happy in a way because he was suffering he had broke his leg and he wouldnt eat at all and he was really stresed and suffering sorry about the loss also its worse on you b-day

M

mik

Sorry for your loss of Spunky, Kim.
Try to enjoy the rest of your birthday.

L

leah

aw, I'm sorry Kim
sad.gif

Good idea burrying him in the garden though- he'll live on in the plants he helps to grow
happy.gif

L

leighton

I'm very sorry to hear that, Kim. You have my sympathies.

K

kim

Thanks guys!

I had a good birthday, great party.. im old now 21!!

About an hour after my post my boyfriend and his mum turned up out of the blue. He said that it wasnt fair that Spunky had died and that it was on my birthday.

He had gone and phoned every pet shop in the area to see if they had any axos.

And he had got me another one!! Im really happy but it still wont replace spunky.

When i get a chance and have got over my hang over i'll let you all meet the new one (still un named and un sexed)

Cheers guys thanks for all you help and words of advise.

K

kim

Yeah not to worry shes in a holding tank that ive nicked for a few days from another friend.

I think she a she but when shes setled in i'll compare them both.

She a wild type with quite a pale belly. She has been in a few fights by the looks of things and only has 2 toes on one foot. but this doesnt bother me, she's seem very well.

Still upset about Spunky tho
sad.gif
But as long as he isnt in pain anymore
happy.gif

K

kaysie

You should quarantine for longer than a few days. My wildtypes too have very light bellies (except for Blue, who seems to be purple all around).

Nothing will ever replace Spunky, but now know better for having gone through it. And you should take our advice and ditch the gravel, as I believe it was a contributing factor.

K

kim

The gravel has gone... not to worry.

But just to fill people in spunky did not injest any gravel. He did not pass any either while he was out of the main tank.

The vet had a good look and some other tests. He said that it was an infection... and there may have not been one thing i could have done to prevent it.

sad.gif

K

kim

Mik/John or anyone of the moderators..

Can we have a place where people can list the names of vets that they have used and have found helpful. I had a bit of a hard time finding one near me and i think this mite help.

Maybe if you list them like

USA
UK
etc etc

But tell me to shut up if there is something like this about on here (i couldnt find anything).

I would like to recommend the vet i used as he knew what a axolotl was and actually knew how to help.

M

mik

Kim, I posted your request up in the general section of the site.
1. to see if it gets support
2. to get a response from John, it might not be possible to modify the major thread topics. Which is where I think such an item might want to live.

K

kim

Cheers Mik,

Just thought it would help out loads.

It would have been great help to just look up your area and find a vet that has been helpful or knows what they are doing!

H

hayden

sorry kim about spunky...I had a newt die from bloat...It was depressing...But youll get over it...Again im really sorry.

K

kim

So this is the new one.. dont worry there is only one in the tank its the refecltion.

20362.jpg

J

jenny

aw its so cute it looks dead fat! i have a soft spot for fat animals lol

K

kim

She's not fat really, slightly bigger than Jynx.

But i have read that it is nearly impossible to over feed and axolotl.

H

heather

impossible to overfeed um ........you should see my axies ........its possible
wacko.gif

theyre beyond fat, on a diet now though
smile6.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1