Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can axolotl breeding be prevented?

T

terence

I have two axolotls that I have been raising since their hatching. There are growing older and reaching the point of sexual maturity. Since they are brother and sister, I do not want them to breed (they might have already even been slightly inbred). Is there any way to prevent or discourage breeding aside from separating them into different tanks?

J

joan

You could buy a tank divider and just seperate the tank into two halves. But no, other than physical seperation, there's really no way to prevent it.

F

frank

By keeping the water temperature stable during the year the chance that they will breed is reduced. (only reduced not taken away)

-correct me if I'm wrong_

T

terence

That is what I thought. I think I will have to separate them. Thanks a bunch for your help!

C

cynthia

Terence - You could also let them breed and then dispose of the eggs. You don't have to let the eggs develop.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If your main concern is inbreeding don't worry. Usually their aren't any genetic problems with line breeding in axolotls.

N

nathan

if you had no flat surface would that prevent it?

(Message edited by archino on July 02, 2005)

N

nathan

but wouldn't the female pick up stones that are stuck to the package

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!