Planning tank for an axolotl

K

katy

I kept two axolotls a couple of years ago and loved them to bits. Unfortunately they died due to a fungal infection, and I've decided I can no longer live without another.

I'm planning on only getting one this time, and he'll live in my 2ft tank.

My question is: what do you recommend as substrate? I used a combination of sand and river rocks before and it was hell to keep clean. I was looking at using slate tiles or chunks - does anyone have any experience (or pictures) with this? I was also wondering at making a latex 'fake rock' covering for the bottom and maybe the back. What do you think of this? Or maybe if I just used plain sand it would work better?

Thanks for any help!
happy.gif

well, I have little experience with axolts (only in my favorite class of the day BIOLOGY) but I think that rocks would be a ok substrate to keep as long as the pebbles are not to small for them to swallow or to big for them to choke on...but I would recomend sand....I have also seen bare axolt tanks....Slate rocks work really well too....GoOd LuCk...
happy.gif

some of us use nothing, just a glass floor, its way easy to keep clean. feeding is so simple, i chuck in 6 worms a day and they find em in no time.

The simplest substrate would be a thin layer of plain (fine) sand. You can use pool filter sand, beach sand, play sand, etc., but be sure it is rinsed well (VERY well) before putting it in the tank. If you look through the old posts in the "axolotl gallery" section of the forum, you'll find lots of photos with various kinds of sand. If the color seems to monotonous, you can dress it up with some colorful rocks (too large for swallowing).

hey there
i currently have a 2ft tank and was wondering what axolotls natural habitat consists of?
Is it volcanic or smooth river or slate or what?
Cheers
Adam

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back