I hope I'm right...

S

sharon

On another axolotl board is someone claiming that axolotls need UV lights. Also claiming the lack of said lights is causing "spine disformation" in another members' axolotl.

I've read and read and the only comment on lights is that A. they not produce heat, B. needed for plants.

I say axolotls get their Vit. D from their foods.

Am I right?

Sharon

I really don´t know. I had the axie problem. Now i guess is solved, don´t know how. But I said that I had metal in water, that my test detected, but.. i was wrong, cuase... MY KIT TEST DONT DETECT METALS IN WATER!!!, I was confused, sorry. But one problem could be the Algae. Maybe too much oxigen in water, I was reading that oxigen concentration over 11 mg/l can be letal to axolotls (bubble disease) and other staff with algae, so I took it out of the tank. And a very big piece of stone, very heavy and dark brown color. but nothing with vit D related, i guess.

sharon: thanks a lot! you where right about NO "spine disformation" an UV light

I have never heard that axies needed light especially since the albino axies eyes are to sensitive to lght....but I could be wrong..? never know until you experience it I guess..

Well I'm glad everything worked out good for you and your axolotl hun!

The other site is ok for gabbing about our pets but if you want GOOD reliable information THIS IS THE SITE to read!

Have fun!

Sharon

snip "On another axolotl board is someone claiming that axolotls need UV lights. Also claiming the lack of said lights is causing "spine disformation" in another members' axolotl"

What they are referring to is the need in some animals for the spectrum of UV light corresponding to UVB (if I remember correctly close to 295 nm) which allows the animal to convert provitamin D to D3. This prevents a disruption of the calcium metabolism. However in a lot of nocturnal animals, the animal may either aquire sufficient D3 from the diet (for example if you use some pellets) or can synthesize it without exposure to D3. Caudates to date have not been shown to develop disruptions of the calcium metabolism when deprived of UVB...

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back