Sand + putting axie back in tank

C

christine

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about changing my tank so it is half sand, half river rocks. My substrate is all river rocks at the moment but i thought it would look cool if it was half/half. Also then I can feed my axie on the sand, because its annoying to suck up uneaten food from between the rocks.

I just wanted to ask how long it will take for my tank to be ready to put my axie back in after I put the sand in. Do I just have to wait for it to settle, or will I have to recylcle? I figure there will be enough old substrate in the tank to maintain the right levels, but I wasn't sure.

Its just that carlos is in the fridge at the moment and I want to get him out soon, so I was just wondering how much of a delay adding the sand might cause.

Cheers.

Its gonna depend on a few things. Firstly - what sort of sand you use, and how clean it is. and also - how you put it in.

Cycling probably won't be an issue if you use some of the rocks, the same filter, and same ornaments, and also try to save some of the water in there at the moment.
If you want to make it settle quickest, put the sand in first, then carefully (ie - pour the water onto something so it dissapates the speed of the water) fill it with water. Could be anywhere from a few hours to a few days depending on all the factors.

if you just shove the rocks to one side and then add your sand it should be ok. if it doesnt clear quick do some water changes or turn a filter up in there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back