Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algae on tank

M

mary

Hi there,
just wondered if i should leave a wee bit of green algae that is dotted on the glass under the water level. not sure how to clean it anyway. is it bad for it to be there?

S

skylar

Nope green algae is a sign of excess nutrients - basically means you have a healthy tank.

J

jarred

Mary, as Skylar said some algae is actually good sign and can be beneficial for the aquarium, acting like aquatic plants.

If it becomes to unsightly and you want to get rid of it there is an article about methods to do it in caudata culture.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
What about brown algae? I have that one. I clean it off once a week, but can't get it off from everywhere

J

joan

Brown algae is annoying. It's not harmful, but it looks hideous. I scrub mine off whenever I clean tanks.

S

stipe

Im not sure if the nutient is right but i think that Ed said that brown algae is due to acccess silicon or sumthing in the tank. Hope im not wrong.

S

sharn

not excess silicon that i know of....?? i have brown alage, its normally from not enough light (mines a very dim tank) and i cant clean mine off well either, if i leave it there too long the algae scrubber wont touch it but the fresher stuff is easier so i give it all a good scrub during my water changes.

E

edward

It depends on the brown algae. If the brown algae is caused by diatom growth then silicate is one of the limiting requirements for that type of algae.

Ed

T

teesha

i thought algae grows when there is exess nutrients (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia) and lots of light....
Isn't it kinda bad...if the tank gets little light...??? i think on its own its good- coz it uses the nutrients, but sometimes it grows when the tank has too many nutrients in it yeah?? or am i completely wrong!!!

J

jojo

Algae is a god sign of a healthy tank - like Skylar mentioned. Good bacteria.
Its not necessarily bad, for the tank to get some light, and i believe its good for ur plants as well.
Too much light stresses your axies though.

re the algae and light, im not too sure about. Im assuming there are different kinds of algae that grow in different conditions ie. too much light or too little (referring to Sharn's post).

??

R

rob

from what iv'e read on other sites and this site the brown algae is from not enough light.
and Jojo i think u will find after a while u need some kind of fluro set up to get sustained plant growth, i am going to put more light in my 3ft tank shortly "just saving the funds needed" i already have 2 x 36' fluro's and going to set up a compact 4 x compact fluro's and get rid of the 2 x 36' and hoping this will get rid of my algae problem too
errr.gif
although since setting up my C02 it does seem a little better and my plants are loving it
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1