Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants in pots

M

mel

i've had a few plants in my axie tank pretty much since i set it up and didn't bother to take them out of the little plastic pots they were in. i was just wondering f it made any difference if i took them out or not...

J

jojo

Actually I was wondering about this too Mel.
I think the roots would just be able to "breathe" more being out of a pot. And im assuming the roots would be able to spread further below the substrate

??

I cant think of any other reasons...

?? anyone?

S

skylar

My plants grew faster out of pots - but the pots were overcrowded (like 4 stem plants per small pot). I'm sure if it was only one it would make a very tiny difference or none at all.

S

sharn

plant growers use pots so they can put plant wool stuff in it i think and i assume other things they need to be healthy- not an expert on potted plants im sorry lol, but it should be ok, alot of people use potted plants in their tanks. as long as you dont crowd the pots they should grow well

S

stipe

Alot of people use potted plants and they add filter wool ( the one you can buy in a bag and looks like a huge ball of cotten balls.) You place this some where in the pot where nutrients etc can get stuck and reached by the roots of plants. Most people put a fertilization tab in thier pots.

M

mel

ok, my plants are fine and growing very well, i thought it would be ok, they hold well, so i'll keep em lol

S

stipe

Glad to here that. Need any more help good ol' Stipe is always here to help
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1