The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 6th February 2006   #1
cheryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Can someone please give me some advice about what plants are suitable in an axolotl tank? Also, I have large stones as my substrate... how do i bury the plants?

Old 6th February 2006   #2
skylar

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i think almost any plants you can get from a petshop are suitable. I recommend rooted or potted plants as axies seem to love uprooting plants.. i have great hygrophila, stargrass, banana plants, brazilian pennywort, anubias, and orchid lilly, and baby tears, with java moss starting to grow as well. All of those except for anubias and java moss are fast growing and easy to grow with decent lighting except stargrass which needs a lot.

I'd recommend putting sand under the large stones.

Old 6th February 2006   #3
rob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Theresa posted this site a cpl of days ago
http://www.plantgeek.net/
its a wealth of knowledge Click the image to open in full size. and if u look around it u will get all the info needed to grow healthy plants..

Old 8th February 2006   #4
stipe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

In your tank i suggest nothing more then javo moss and plants that are attached to a log or rock. Im not trying to be rude but sont buy the plants that Skylar Lenoir has suggested, they'll just die in your tank. Unless you swich to small gravel (1-2mm in lenght) sand works nice but compresses to easily not helping the plants as much. The plants Skylar Lenoir suggested will only survive in pots of filter floss at the bottom layer to store nutrients and gravel inthe rest of the pot.

Old 9th February 2006   #5
skylar

Gallery Images:
Comments:

? my plants aren't in pots and i have sand :/ and they are growing fine. I just add liquid fert every week or so, they are growing nicely

Old 9th February 2006   #6
cheryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Does java moss die at lower temps? I can expect my tank to drop to close to fridge temp in winter. should i look at heating it then?

Old 9th February 2006   #7
skylar

Gallery Images:
Comments:

yes I don;t think it'll grow under about 15 degrees

Old 10th February 2006   #8
cheryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Do you think I would be able to grow java moss as a complete cover on the floor of the tank? Kind of like a lawn?

Old 10th February 2006   #9
skylar

Gallery Images:
Comments:

yep! If you got a handful size of it and tied it down, depending on the size of your tank it should cover the bottom within 3-4 months

Old 10th February 2006   #10
cheryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

that would solve the problem of muck falling between the rocks, and i imagine would be comfortable to lie on Click the image to open in full size.
Would the rocks be a problem for it to bond to as they are smooth? I think they may even be polished.

Old 10th February 2006   #11
stipe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Skylar Lenoir im not saying those plants cant do good in a axie tank its just that Cheryl has large rocks and she cant keep anything but potted plants, or the plants would die slowly.

Old 10th February 2006   #12
skylar

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i have smooth rocks and the moss grows over it. However they aren't polished and that might be a problem, if yours are.

Old 10th February 2006   #13
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The problems with Java mats is that the detritus gets bound up in the mat and cannot be removed without physically removed in the mat and rinsing it (it is very hard to clean out using a siphon)

Ed

Old 11th February 2006   #14
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have some java moss currently living at 9C (48F). It's fine in cold water. My other recommendation is silk plants. I silicone some pebbles onto the base so that they stay down and don't need to be anchored with sand.

Tags
advice, plant

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 6 (Set)

End, geganewt, Gingrich, Haakon, Lamb, Roney