Canister Filters

S

sin

I'm currently contemplating whether it would be worthwhile investing in a canister filter for my large tank as i'm finding the setup of my existing one a little bit of a problem as it's built into the lid of the aquarium and becomes very messy if i ever want to take anything out of the tank.

What sort of canister filter, brand/water flow/type would be suitable for a 230L tank for axies? how do they work and do they have different types? brands to avoid?

Thanks!

well about a 1300L per hour is what your aiming at. One wit hadjustable water flow and a good brand would be rena. Make sure the filter hase abotu 3 layers, ceremetic rings or similar, mabey active carbon and a biological spong or wat ever they'r called.

I have a Rena Canister filter and it is the best filter I have ever had. I have one for a 75 gallon tank, but using it for a 60 gallon. I just love it
happy.gif

You don't need the Cerametic rings, or bio stars, they are an option. However, if you do get them, they will help your tank. I don't have them, and don't plan to get get them as of yet.

Joan was very helpful with pointing out many things about this filter for me before I purchased it
happy.gif

The sponges come with the filter, and a carbon pad. After a few weeks the carbon pad wears down, but you don't want to go out and waste more money buying a whole new pad. Just buy a container of carbon, get a pair of panty-hose which costs so little, and use a bit of it to seal off some carbon and put it into the canister filter. This is what I am doing, this is what Joan does, and we both have success, it is great!

The Filter comes with a Priming kit, so you don't need to worry about sucking water through tubes or anything like that lol. I heard some stories on here about that with a Filstar brand canister filter.

Rena Canister filters also come with many cool parts, so that you can adjust the spray bar to the size that you want, and also adjust the speed of the water flow. I turn the spray bar up and back so that it sprays against the glass. It is a very powerful filter even on the lowest setting, so turning it like this baffles the flow greatly.

The filters are however pricey, but well worth it in the long run.

Here are some pictures I took when I first got it:
51245.jpg
51246.jpg

ah nice i need to get one at some stage, what is the average pricing for a canister filter? i suppose i should stop being lazy and look online ha.

in nz anywhere from 50-800! the $800 ones have built in heaters and all that stuff though.

I got mine for I think $69.99 or $59.99 because it was on sale at www.bigalsonline.com but now that I look back at the site, it seems the price is now $79.99. I have the second largest type of Rena sold on that site. I just love it, and if I could afford another one for a fish tank I plan to set up in the future, I surely would
happy.gif

Mine doesn't have built in heaters or anything.

I have 2 Rena canisters, like Rheann's. They are good. I also have a Fluval 104 canister, which I like somewhat better (slower water flow, larger capacity for various media). Both brands are good. I have heard that Eheim filters are even better, but they are more expensive.

thanks for all the information guys. what's the idea behind the ceramic rings and the bio stars?

That correct. If you get any, never wash them or you'll wash away all your good bacteria.

The rings need to be rinsed once in a while, but do not use tap water or fresh water, use aquarium water to gently rinse them, no scrubbing involved. The rings never have to be replaced. Same with bio stars.

Actually, I think I've seen that it's recommended to replace the ceramic rings periodically. The pores get all clogged up and they are less effective at that point. However, I've used those rings for years without replacing them - I just accept that they don't work at full bacterial capacity any more.

If you need bio-rings, there are other cheaper materials that should work just as well. Small pieces of lava rock, for example.

Now see, that is what I was thinking, Jennifer
happy.gif
. I thought a while back that why do we need to use rings? Why can't we use something else. I saw some plastic bead things that looked like ceramic rings at a craft store a while back, and thought to my self, wonder if those would ever work. I also thought about using beach glass and mosaic tiles.

If I ever needed the ceramic rings, I would find something else to use.

do u think a cannister filter would be too much for a 3 ft tank?.

Alex i have a Fluval 304 canister filter in my 3 footer 36"x18"x18" and was maybe a little strong till i got my chiller and now i run my chiller through my filter too id'e say it is now purfect..
if i was u i would go for the Fluval 204
"or equivillent" and attach a spray bar....

ok thanks for that rob, theres 1 couple selling on trademe for about 240.00 how much did u pay for yours?.

from memory mine was about $160au
and the 204 was about $120au
also Fluval have just brought out there new models in Aust 105/205/305/405
they recommend the 205 for up too 200Lt and 305 for up too 300Lt

(Message edited by kharmakazi on January 06, 2006)

sheesh alex! you can pick em up for like 50 second hand- just have to make sure its insanely clean before you use it and that it hasnt come from infested waters...

I run a jebo 815 cannister on my 3 foot. It flows 900lph and comes with a spray bar. Works great.

I paid only $100AU for it new. You can get other brands on ebay even cheaper.

ok thanks for the replys, i think ill get a canister filter. i dont like the other filters they take up to much room in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back