Chillers and condensation?

S

sin

Having just purchased a chiller due to the heat (35+ degree days here at the moment) my axie tank is sitting on a lovely 20 degrees, which has created another problem, condensation. Any suggestions on how to keep it under control?

maybe airflow in the room ? IE: leave door open. i have my chiller running @ 17c and have no problem...
as soon as it cools down at night i open the window too....

Hi Sinsister. I live in Townsville and am looking for a chiller myself. How much did yours cost?

I've got the window and door open at the moment and it's still making a mess, and it's really humid at the moment which doesn't help much either. My partner suggested i make a tank nappy which i might have to do.

LOL you know when you're obsessed when you're too worried about how hot your pets are and totally ignore just how damn hot you are.

And Jodi, I got mine from the Aquarium Warehouse near harbourtown at the Gold Coast for $495, they've just opened and have a special on their Resun chillers.

I can't even begin to describe just how glad I am to have gotten it, it's worth the peace of mind, least i can go to work now and not have to worry about the tank getting up to 32 degrees, which is what my new tank is at the moment, thankfully nothing is in it since it's cycling.

Sin Sister, I also got my chiller from that Aquarium Warehouse. I paid $490 for a Sun Sun chiller. It's leaking so I have to go back down the coast and return it. Did you buy the Sun Sun or the Resun chiller for $495 because I may swap it for the Resun if its $495. The Sun Sun chills the water well (Tank Temp: 28C to 20C) but I don't really want another one that will just leak again.

You are lucky, here in the US chillers are nearly impossible to find. I am going to end up making my own later this year out of an old fridge and some pipes.

hey Jarred, I got the resun chiller, so far no leaks, it's very quiet. I was speaking to another petshop owner over the weekend who had a resun and they hadn't had any problems with them, they did however say to stay away from SunSun chillers because they weren't very good.

I'm pretty angry that it leaked, the aquarium staff assured me it was a good product and it was a good store so I believed them.

What model Resun did you get for $495? Was it the CL-280?

Thanks for your help

yup it was the CL-280, i've got a 230lt tank, it doesn't come with any hoses however, only the unit + a spare fuse + some hose clamps + a couple of spare sealing rings.

The petstore owner who told me about the sunsun chiller said that from what they've seen, they burn out after 6 months and advised me to stay away from the entire range. Unfortunately I've got a sunsun brand tank so it's made me wonder. I must admit i've been very happy with the tank however.

I'd definitely be taking the other one back, you don't pay that kinda money for something that's faulty.

The assistant assured me that it was good quality and would last over a year.

THE BOLTS ON THE UNDERSIDE ARE RUSTED!

I'm going down on Saturday and will get the Resun instead.......I think a few words will be exchanged too!!! What kind of temperature drop have you experienced with the CL-280 as my tank is a similar size to yours?

I really appreciate the help.

I have recently bought one of the Resun cl-280 and its working great.

Its supposed to have a mitsubishi compressor too which are great quality going on the number of air cons running mitsubishi compressors that i have had to install (and service).

I cant compare to your tank jarred but on my 3 foot (130l aprox) i have it set to 20 degrees and even on a 35C day the compressor only runs for about 5 mins every half hour (my tank is also insulated on the back and one side).

The condensation problem really sucks! I think its only really happening because of the super humid days we've been having lately. The only thing i've found gets rid of it is to run the AC for a bit.

Jeff: You should check out ebay seeing as you are in the US. There are always chillers on there and normally way cheaper than here!

ok mine seems a bit dearer but bear in mind that the cl-280 is 1/10hp and the one i got is 1/4hp so wont run as hard to get the temp down and keep it down
also not meaning to put the Resin one down but i have heard if any thing goes wrong with it good luck in getting it repaired in a speedy manner
"this is just hear say though"

hello i was was looking at purchasing the resun cl-280 chiller, so i contacted the aquarium warehouse and was told that they cannot sell to me because i live in cairns and am not a potential customer so i cannot buy the chiller even though i was paying of course first and i would organise the courier to pick it up for me. i am so mad because i wanted that chiller, can anyone help me please

i would not shop there under principle after being told that.
sounds like the salesperson was having a bad day lol
to throw away buisiness like that !
iv'e sent u an email
happy.gif

got mine within 3 days of order and only $15 freight
and they organise that.. very good service and so it should be for nearly $600

I think i would have been saying something along the lines of "you must be a potential idiot to knock back a $500 sale" *shakes head*

well my experiences with their labrador branch were quite good (mind you this was in person), they were very helpful, but still i say with like most businesses, it just depends on who serves you, some ppl just don't care, yet others will go out of their way. My better half went into the same store a few weeks ago and got snubbed by one of the younger staff members, we went in together a week later to buy some logs and after speaking with the owner about concerns about leeching, they said if we ever had any problems please return them. When i got the chiller the lady i spoke to was lovely and very helpful. The service at their southport branch is very different however.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back