Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filters?. any opinion?

S

shane

hey does anyone know much about the waterfall filters?.. (im not sure if thats what they are called. but they look like that)

i saw a few in the pet shop while i was in there they seem pretty good, especially as there is pretty much no flow comming out of them. but abou the thing that sucks up the water. that wouldnt hurt the axoltol would it. is it very strong?.

i have an internal filter which is pretty good, although its small it uses up a bit too much room inside the tank. ive only got a small 2inch tank. i droped it too while i was cleaning it and it broke so its not filtering as well as i should be so ive decided its time for a new one. lol

or are there any other not too expensive filters out there?. the shop igo to doesnt have too many to choose from.

J

joan

They're called overhang filters.

They actually do put out a fair bit of water, and because this falls in a sheet, it does make a fair bit of current, only in a circular motion. I have baffled mine with a mat of plastic vine attached to the side of the tank.

I have taken the end off my intake tube, and the suction isn't so great that it hurts the axolotls.

I highly recommend the overhang filters, especially the 'bio-wheel' types, such as Penguin or Marineland. The filter media can get kind of expensive, but I usually take mine out and scrub it, cut it open and put in fresh carbon. This makes them last a long time. I've had my biowheel running for years now. Once in a while I'll rinse the wheel itself in water, but never never wash it, as this is where most of the bacteria live. I also pull out the impeller housing and give that a good wash on occasion, as it can get clogged with gunk.

S

shane

hey. thanks for that info. ive heard about the bio wheel ones, what is so good about them? and is the current that comes out from it something that would stress the axies?. thanks again

C

cynthia

Shane - the bio-wheel will grow a culture of good bacteria on it. As it ages it gets really crusty, you are not supposed to ever clean the bio-wheel or run it under tap water.

The filter will have to be baffled, the current they create is too strong for axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1