Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axalotl hasnt eaten in 3 weeks

C

coffo

i think he is suffering from the heat and am doing all i can to keep him happy(frozen water bottles) but he just isnt eating i just dont know what to do he was fairly chubby but now he is really really skinny
i dont know how long hes gonna last any suggestions?

C

coffo

at the moment its about 24
and are you sure a fridge would help dosnt that slow down the motabalism so it wont want to eat

J

joan

The fridge will slow down it's metabolism, yes. But this means that while you're trying to cool the tank, it won't NEED to eat, and won't starve to death while you're cooling the tank.

I would buy several ice packs, not just frozen water bottles. The 'blue ice' ice packs work well. I would double-seal them in plastic bags (try to remove the air) for leak-protection. Rotate these regularly (once an hour or so).

Then use a fan blowing over the top of the water to increase evaporation, therefore cooling the tank. These should bring your temperature down at least 5 degrees.

C

coffo

thanks for the info after a huge argument with the parents and asuring them the axalotl wont jump out and rub itself against the food or shoot salmanela into the air i got it into the fridge =p and am going to buy it some beef heart tomorow as a treat and see if it will eat that

C

coffo

also just noticed while looking in the fridge i noticed the tips of all of his toes have gone a dark colour
any ideas what this is?

(Message edited by coffo on June 17, 2006)

kapo

Reaction score
Our leucs toes go dark in the fridge, assume its to do with the cold temp. Also, do you have a lid on his container (just to stop the light annoying), also would be an idea to wrap the container in a towel (dishcloth) to stop the temp spikes and cut down the light when it goes on as the door opens/closes.

J

james

Mine hasn't eaten in about two months now. Starting to get a tad worried. She seems healthy enough, Swimming around and stuff, And hasn't lost any weight. I was thinking of the fridge, But around what temperature would it be at? Mine's about 6 degrees I think. Is that Ok? The tank's temperature is not that high either. How long do they need to be in the fridge for?

Thanks.

C

coffo

hes been in a few days and still hasnt eaten so im going to take him out and hope for the best

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1