Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie hitting her nose to tank wall

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Hi there! My axie keeps swimming fast in her tank (tank has glass walls, obviously), and she doesn't stop swimming before she hits the glass. She does this all the time ( I keep saying 'ouch' on her behalf lots & lots of times every day!)So her nose/mouth area has now changed to a lighter colour and seems bit swollen. I don't think it's nothing to necessarily worry about, but is there anything I can do to stop her doing this? Maybe put some bright coloured paper around parts of the tank, which she may be able to see?? But if I do that, I won't be able to see her very well myself!!
Has anybody had a similar problem with their axy? Her eye-sight may be bad, but she is definatly not blind.
And needless to say, she doesn't look very cute like that! (But I love her no matter how she looks)

C

charlotte

mine did that, and i read it was a sign of stress somewhere. i put some hiding places in for mine and that did the trick. do you have lots of hiding places for yours?

al

Reaction score
I think Charlotte is right. Mine get spooked easily when I simply walk into my tank room. I now keep a small towel over the top that drapes down to avoid too much light and reflections. I don't have live plants (fake ones). This seems to keep them calm. They can make a racket when spooked though.

R

rob

how big is ur tank ? cause i had the same problem in my smaller tank and since being moved into the bigger tank they dont do it anymore

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Hi many thanks for your replies.The tank is 55gal,and she is there alone, so it's definately big enough. She has never been alone before, tho, so could that cause her stress? She has always lived with another axie or a fish. I have 2 hiding places for her, but she doesn't seem to use them much, only occasionally .(There is a broken barrel and a skull in her tank, in which she could hide)Maybe I could also add a broken flowerpot for her, and see if that helps?

C

charlotte

yeah or a little cave thing with plants around seem to attract them.

perhaps you need to get her a friend? it's a good excuse :p

bob2143

Reaction score
Hey mine is doing that too now, i' about to get a bigger tank and maybe a third hiding spot, hopefully its just the tank. Although mine is a little sick but he seems to be getting better.

rkid_uk

Reaction score
hi there,
i have an axie that did this on a regular basis perticarly in the evenings,
the tank she is in is 4 ft long,and she used to go back and forwards quite calmly,bump slightly into the glass,turn round and go the other way,,sometimes she would float down onto some plants for a wee break then have another go.i wouldnt say mine was doing it down to stess as she has always seemed to be very healthy
maybe some do it for something to do

inkozana

Reaction score
Axolotls that are constantly swimming around in the water and bumping into the tank/filter/ornaments are ones with bad water quality. Usually the ammonia levels are too high, I advise you to check your levels of that as well as nitrite and nitrate.
Your tank size is fine, it is more a discomfort problem than stress.
Ammonia in bad cases can burn your axolotl.

Kal El

Reaction score
Axolotls generally have poor eyesight, so that could be a contributing factor. Also, they have no eyelids, which can be extremely stressful for them if they are put in a high traffic zone, e.g. loud noise, bright lights, etc. Another thing, if you just recently purchased an axolotl, it would be more prone to move around because it needs to get acquainted with its new surroundings.

rkid_uk said:
i have an axie that did this on a regular basis perticarly in the evenings

Axolotls are noctural creatures.

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!