Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brine Shrimp

M

mary

Ok, I followed the directions on the packet perfectly, but it's been 36 or so hours and my brine shrimp still havn't hatched!!! Some of the eggs are floating on the top (this is meant to mean that they have hatched, and these are just the shells) ow big are newly hatched brine shrimp? Can you see them with the naked eye? I have a really good eye for detail, and I can see small things that most people can't, but I can't see any brine shrimp!!! Please help!!! my babies are going to hatch in 5 days and I need food for them!!!

M

mik

New brine shrimp are v small. Bit easier to say if water is agitated. Have you put an air stone in to keep it moving.

Aslo keep it warm and add a little fry food or something. Your fry need to be newly hatched for babies at first so it might be an idea to have a few batches going if you can.

C

carl

can i not just buy brine shrimp then put them in the tank do they sell them at the shop how will the axie eat it will it chase the brine shrimp then eat it

K

kaysie

probably not. Brine shrimp are only high in nutritional value the first 24 hours after hatching. Most large axies dont eat brine shrimp as they are too small to see.

C

carl

no myne is a larvai will it eat them will it be able to swallow beef heart or worms i only just got it

M

mik

Carl, how long is your axie now. I find that axies love the larger brine shrimp sold in pet shops up until they are about 5-6" long. After that they don't seem to notice them any longer and just ignore them.

KC I believe what you say about them having their highest nutritional value in the 1st 24 hours because of the yolk sac they carry. But the larger one (5-6mm) sold in shops are still a good source of protein. Still worth popping an occaisional bag or two in for axies 3-4cm long.

C

carl

well my axieis about 3inches max at a guess i cant see it now because i aint at home it may be a bit smaller then 3 inches dunno

K

kaysie

My axies are growing larger. almost 4.5 inches now. yay.

Carl, I'm a strong advocate for the nutritional value of earthworms. Canadian nightcrawlers are probably the most sound nutrition available. Chop 'em up, my animals all love them.

J

jenny

your axys only 3 inches? hmmm mine is about 5 inches now...and i thought both ours were from same hatching cos everytime i went back there they had the same ones every week. or maybe they advertised them more and sold them then got more in. when i got mine he was right at the back of the shop just among the fishes like guppies and mollies etc where ppl prob dont really go. i would have thought theyd have put them wih the hermitt crabs and crayfish etc.

M

mik

Axie's grow quick if conditions are right and food is plentiful. But like us there is aome variation in size. Both my sons are way taller than either my wife or I (s*ds!).

Moonpie was only 50-60mm when I bought him from shop now I have had him 4 weeks and he is a strapping 125-150mm and showing no signs of slowing. But I feed him morning and night and watch carefully how much he takes. He/She never refuses and never drops a bolus.

I'll try post a short mpeg of one of mine devouring whole worms some time soon. It's very entertaining, in a gladitorial way...lol.

C

carl

well did you get yours after mine because a couple of the ones at the shop where way bigger then the others but i bought the one that i got coz it looked pretty active

J

jenny

no i got mine b4 urs. i chose an active one to there were quite a few just lazyin at the bottom.

mik where did you get moonpie from? a breeder or manchester pet shop near apollo?

C

carl

i look at him today and i think i just was feelin stupid he is about 4-5 inches from head to the tip off tail

M

mik

After extensive deliberation I eventually took Moonpie from the shop near the Apollo.

I also took a golden which I named Cobweb. Sadly I found her, one morning, stuck under the edge of corner filter I had been using; she perished.

I would like another baby golden to raise (Cobweb2) but I will be patient and see what turns up in the future.

J

jenny

with fijibob hes a golden albino his skin is like orange...but seems kind of...well if it hink about it...cobwebby...like white bits in patches....which im gonna ask now is this normal even though you called yours cobweb which maybe for that reason lol but...is this nrmal? well its kind of like...exzma ish but white and orange.

K

kim

Any marks like this on an axie is normally just there pigmentation... or lack of it.

Both Jynx and Spunky had dark spots covering their faces.. and my new wildtype has some lighter patches and a fairly white belly.

Think of it like this... some people have freckles some people dont. Some people have loads some people only have a couple.

You can also see it in dogs with their coats.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!