My tank!!! and pookie too! and its changes!

T

teesha

ok i thought i'd share a pic of my tank and the stages it's been thru since i've had my axie (about 2 months). It was bought at 17cm, i feed it heaps daily and it has grown 2 cm....so i can breed it now...im gettin' her a guy friend soon coz my friends cuz can't look after hers' anymore. Her name is pookie- i'm sure shes a female...and i am willing to hear any comments or suggestions!!!!! i hope the pics arent too big!!!
64590.jpg

64591.jpg

64592.jpg

and here is a pic of how chubby she is:
64593.jpg

and this is her when we first got her!
64594.jpg

yep....that's all for now!

p.s. i know i was naughty and had pebbles but they are only there to cycle it- it is now cycled as u see i have added some sand, which i am adding gradually so i don't create a mini cycle!

also does anyone know where i can get hair grass from....is it truely aquatic? i am mad for it...i hate the plants i picked personally- they keep shedding leaves...i don't think they are happy! why are they shedding!!

How old is your axie, unless you know approx. age of your axie you prob won't know the sex until its at least 12-18mths?. Our 7-8mth olds are between 20-22cm; sex still unknown. We also have 3yr old couples, so to speak, that are 27-29cm long, and have never bred - so size doesn't mean it is old enuf or necessarily mean it will breed.

sarah, i have no definate proof that it is female, but to me it seems more female than male....what made you think it was a male? Coz from my perspective it doesnt have swelling but i dont have somethign tocompare it to so i might be wrong.
Kapo i understand that size doesn't mena they will breed but i also know that females should only breed once they are at least 20cm long.

It might be male. The head is fairly long and not wider than the body. I'd say even if it is female, it's not carrying eggs.

It looks like my grandfathers Garden!
happy.gif

Or at least how his garden used to look. Not sure if it looks the same anymore lol.

Yeah thats why i thought because of her being slim and the head and everything...

but i know its not carrying eggs. shes not fat enough. But u guys recon its a girl??? Why? So if im lookin gfor a mate and i needa get a male what shoudl i be looking for? How do i know i've got the opposite of what she is. Can u help me to define the sexes i thought it was just the swelling....and she has none.. ( i now her as a she so i will still call her it.)

Teesha - do u know how old s/he is? Even if she is 20cm long, females shudn't be bred until they reach their full size which is around 18mths/1 & 1/2 yrs old. Otherwise it can be a strain on their bodies. Males can be bred earlier tho.

i have no idea how long she is but ive had her for about 3 months-ish. and she grew about 3 cm in that tiem coz i fed her heaps!!! But i have no idea truely how old she is.....so i dunno what to do. I have to get her to breed by the end of the yr, so i can postpone it till november even.....i don't care. If i have no chance of breeding her buy this yr than ill have to breed something else ( its my assignment to breed an animal) So how do u tell what gender they are??

hey teesha,
well done on your little axie feeding and a very nice set up too
happy.gif

By accurately tell what gender they are by looking around the vent area.
If you cant see swelling and she is still quite small, then she maybe too young to tell. Can you guess how long she is?? Post some pics of around the vent area so we can have a look, but she still may be too young. And if you dont want to risk NOT "getting the opposite of what ur axie is", you may just need to wait till ur axie is big enough to determine sex.

jojo ;)

i was sifting threw pics if her and ive seen how much shes grown!! she's now about 20cm give or take 2 mm. I got her at 17cm...in march some time. She has grown 3cm in 3 months, so a cm a month! About that anyways. recently i have began feeding her every second day. But she has been eating 6 meal worms and 10 axie pellets a day. but now i try and feed her mroe coz i feed her less often. i dotn have recent pics of her "bum" but i swear, there is like "no" swelling. At all. the biv pic shows this and the other one of her up the top show her bottom part is like indented upwards, prooving that there is no swelling. She has black toes too....so it means shes "mature".
I no of her as a she, i really really recon she is she.....really bad!
i no for sure that shes not carrying eggs....shes not fat enough, but is fatter than the pics above slightly. ive began breeding meal worms. i hate feeding them to her, but she loves them .I read if u get the worms just after they hatch they are white and contain the least chitin of their entire life cycle.....so i am breeding them to feed them to ehr nice and young and white.

i would take more pics but my cam ran out of batt power....nxt time!!!

i need to find "it" a mate.....what should i buy...a female???

this is a new pic of my tank....during feeding time.
i plan on slowly tanking over the tank with sand, as my budget allows....its special 1 kg packets adn the sand isnt too small or big and works well with my siphon.(doesnt get sucked up if i go slow)
i also plan on buying more plants and filling the back completely, and getting low light plants coz my light isnt the proper type. Is yellow globe things ok? yeh i thoguht not....i'll just use it for now. It gets a bit for very indirect natural sunlight though.
ok there it is...love to hear ur comments.
oh in the pic pookie has a pellet on her nose! cute i thought
66754.jpg

sorry about hte reflections on the tank! That stick is what helps me pick up the pellets if she misses them and then slide them on the glass and drop aove her head again.

i had to pull the tak apart coz it leaked(throught hte silicone part) so my dad is gunna re seal it and take the backgroudn off. I will then redecorate my tank. So i want it to look somewhat like the first one, with sand at the bottom though! Like how its really bushy at the back? Yeh, just thought id update! :p

these are some repeats of the photos above but i saved them all as one file! sorry, so yeh there are some new, now old, pixs of how the tank changed. I personally recon the more time went on the uglier it got! Any suggestion of how i can design my tank this time round? coz like it looks not the deep but it really is, as in a biv pic will show the tank is wider, but from the glass at eh front it looks alot less wider, it cuts about a third. Any opptical tricks i can do to make it look wider?, as in from the front glass to the back glass = wider
#edit# Oh no, the pic is too big, i'll go shrink it!
67706.jpg

you shud watch your filter to cause the sand will get all thorugh it when the axolotls swims round

Teesha -- the sand you've put in it looks good and works well with the patterned background you have, I think once you've covered it completely with sand it will look better and be easier to clean. It doesn't look ugly, it's just the patterned background and the remaining gravel makes it look very busy esp. in the earlier pictures, hope you know what I mean. Also, love that red plant!

(Message edited by kapo on July 16, 2006)

Brett the sand isn't very fine so it doesnt lift up much when she swims. It just moves sideways, its more like fine gravel than sand? Like about 2mm in diametre. I found the thickness perfect but i wanna buy more sand that thickness but it only comes in that colour and in 1 kg packs and i dont wanna look like a fool carrying 20 bags of the stuff!!! Well my dad bought the wrong silicone today, so after he gets that sorted i will setup the tank! i'm excited!
Kapo that red plant is plastic. I got it with a fully furnished tank at a fate for just 5 AUS dollars!!!! Mega bargain, i got a filter with it too, a hob aquaclear one! I was so proud of my bargain, its small thou...she's in it for the moment until her tank is fixed!
My new plans for the tank is to be heavily planted at the back, have stairs by using wood well the pic describes it anyways! Do u recon its a good idea???

68266.jpg

somehow that is supposed to describe the idea i have going for it! lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back