Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new tank

S

skylar

Today I decided to set up a new tank (another 2') that looks very different from my heavily planted tank
happy.gif
Its cloudy from cycling and the plants are all manky cause they were my dying ones that I decided to try and ressurect, and so far they are doing great compared to what they were before. By the time its finished cycling Tijuana my axie should have some nice plants
happy.gif

53434.jpg

53435.jpg

And this is my original heavy planted tank:

53436.jpg

S

sharn

hehe what a jungle compared to my tank lol!! good work though, your axies will love it in there
happy.gif

R

rob

love the look of a heavily planted tank
happy.gif

and axies really seem to like to hang out in em..
looks really nice Skylar
happy.gif

as for ur question about the hair grass in my other thread "it's probably one of the better growing plants in my tank" i took mine out of the pots it came in and split it up and planted directly in the sand "as per Theresa's suggestion
happy.gif
and is growing even better i think..

J

jojo

Nice work Skylar!!! I love the heavily planted tank, i think im liking your new experiment better though - you can see more floor space.
I love the variety in the plants youve got in this tank!! What kind of plant is the orangey-red one? I like how it breaks up the green. I dnt think ive ever seen this plant before (not that colour anyhow). And i like the colour of your sand (?)- nice and natural looking!!!

jojo
happy.gif

(Message edited by jojo_is_here on February 10, 2006)

S

skylar

its a red ludgiwia (thats not spelled right) but its a nice fast growing plant
happy.gif

R

rob

iv'e tried two red ludwigia's in my tank, they seem to last for a mth or so then die...

S

skylar

I find that the more green they are, the easier they are to keep, were yours really red?

R

rob

yes very red and looked very healthy for a few weeks then started to rot
sad.gif
but so far i use no ferts either

(Message edited by kharmakazi on February 10, 2006)

E

edward

The red is a factor of the light intensity. Typically if the plant does not maintian the color if it isn't under really intense lighting.

Rob, do the active growing shoots of the plant pale out before it rots?

Ed

R

rob

Ed
not sure what u mean about the roots pale out ?
the thing i noticed is that when i first got the plant it had hardly any shoots "roots" coming out of the stems but when it was starting to deteriate it ended up getting roots all over the plant then the leaves started to rot from the base up ?

E

edward

Hi Rob,

Not the roots, the growing tips. Does the leading growing point of the plant (where the new leaves come out) get paler over the course of the month or so?
Does it get any large brown holes in the leaves before it begins to fall apart?

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1