Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bill

K

keiran

My wife took this photo of Bill today.

He kind of "sleeps" floating near the plants.

43387.jpg

A

aimee

Oh my goodness how adorable!!! He does this all the time? Hehehe he looks so cute
happy.gif

R

rheann

Kieran, cute axie! Be careful with that Thermometer you have there, that type leaks really easily and the Mercury inside will kill your Axolotl. I had one that got cracked against the side of the glass tank, didn't even hit the side that hard and it shattered on the bottom.

K

keiran

He floats half sitting on the plants quite a bit, and in fact I fed him there this morning. He managed to gulp up his food without falling off.

A few more pictures here http://www.keiranmcmanus.net/gallery/animals?page=4

The thermometer contains red liquid, which i think is coloured alcohol, not mercury. I plan to replace it with a better alternative soon.

M

mel

he he he! he is so cute! my bobo does that too! do you have lights keeping your plants alive? I had the same plant and the window light was not enough, yours look great though! how big is your tank? he looks like a very happy boy.

K

keiran

I deliberately located the tank in what I think is the coolest room in the house (new house) and so it doesn't get much light. The plants don't look like they will thrive.

Plus with all his plant hanging Bill seems to be pulling them out.

M

mel

yeah, I couldn't afford lights for my tank so I just got plastic ones. julie and bobo didn't mind too much and julie was happy to lay her eggs on them instead of just dropping them on the ground! much cheaper than buying new plants all the time. julie liked to pull apart her plants too!oh dear. he he

H

hayley-jane

I have real plants in my tank, I don't know what they are called though. Its the one nearest to the front of the tank, it has with white stripes on it.

43524.jpg

Never had a problem with them needing light or anything.

M

mel

gosh I wish I knew the name! that one look less distructable too, I haven't seen them in australia. think I'd better get hunting! your set up looks great!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1