Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new melanoid: Chac

H

halszka

I finally found a melanoid axie!
happy.gif
Originally I wanted a male to try breeding them but realistically, I doubt I'll have the time or money to do it, so here she is:

Chac, named after the Maya god of rain and lightning.
38319.jpg

My new 45L tank.
38320.jpg

All three axies
happy.gif

38321.jpg

A couple pics of Ixtab (formerly known as Mokey) hiding from the camera and checking herself out :D I decided it would sound better if I stuck to a theme with the names.
38322.jpg

38323.jpg

N

nathan

Your tanks looks very nice halszka and so do your axies especially your new melanoid good luck with them all.

R

rheann

Hey Halzska, Very lovely tank set up! is your Black Axie a black wild type or a colormorph black? I don't think I've seen one that color yet, she's beautiful! I love the spotty dappled look she has
happy.gif
So cute! All of them look very outstanding in the white sand, I really like your pot idea of setting the live plants inside of it. Now you just need some Gold and peramids! You'd have a regular Acient Mexico going on
happy.gif

G

grant

Nice pictures. Wow you got the whole set, black white and gold lol. But are you sure that is a melanoid? because it looks kind of like my dark wild type.

H

halszka

Chac is definately a melanoid. She is very dark, almost velvety in colour and the only mottling is along her tail. And the thing that makes her a true melanoid is the lack of reflective pigment in her eyes, or anywhere else for that matter
happy.gif

I increased the brightness of that picture (you can tell by the colour of the green wall behind the tank compared to the other photos) otherwise Chac was coming up as a totally black blob lol.

C

cynthia

Very pretty tank. I love the pots you have. Congrats on the new addition
happy.gif

H

halszka

Thanks
happy.gif
Can't take the credit for the pots though, I stole the idea off Anne-Marie
proud.gif
was too good not to use!

A

anne-marie

No copyright on this site, eh?
smile6.gif

They all look very contented.
Ok, you know what I'm gonna say, where'd you get him, Halska??

H

halszka

She's a she, even though the original Chac was a male god
happy.gif
I got her from Pisces Aquariums on Augusta Road..or Street.. just off High Road in Willetton. Expensive as axies go, $24, but melanoid does seem to be more rare than albino or golden.

The photos are a little bit misleading, Chac looks huge but she's actually a bit smaller than my other axies. Tezca is still the biggest glut of the three, coming up to the surface expectantly every time I walk past the tank
biggrin.gif
She's a bottomless pit I swear.

H

halszka

Thanks Pamela!
happy.gif

My sand keeps moving. All three of my axolotls like digging and shifting the sand around. They especially like digging under the white shell that doubles as a plant pot and under the other plant pot as well. And they leave foot prints everywhere
happy.gif

D

deanna

Hey Helszka my names Deanna i would like to know how well did you clean those sea shells that you have in your tank i was going to get some and put them in my tank but i thought it would be a mission to clean them, and the sand is it hard to look after?

H

halszka

Hi Deanna. I've had the seashells a while, I just soaked them in some water with salt (1 teaspoon per litre) then rinsed them in tank water and tadaah.

I'm having mixed feelings about the sand. At first I thought it was great, but now I don't know. It's easy to syphon out any poops but only if you see them quick, my axies tend to walk over them and then the poops fall apart... I'm considering switching back to pebbles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1