Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just a few funny photos

L

lisa

Steve posing, she wouldn't stop, she kept looking from side to side. She just needed to flick her gills and she'd be a supermodel.
39013.jpg

Alan being a nutbag as usual, floating at the top.
39014.jpg

And my 3ft, YAY! Don't mind the snail playing dead. Poor things get tossed about like soccer balls when the girls start swimming laps.
39015.jpg

H

halszka

That's a wicked set up :D and like Cynthia said the close ups are great.

A

anne-marie

Love that pic of Alan
lol.gif
. Lisa, is it you that uses the magnifying glass to get close-ups? If it is, I'm definitely gonna have to try it.

C

claire

Anne-Marie its me that uses the magnifying glass to get close ups.lol.works wonders on my dark wildtype whose features you cant make out on pics.
happy.gif

A

anne-marie

Thanks, Claire. Lisa must have a really good camera then.

S

shane

hey those are great pics. i like your set up. whats that plant floating on the top of the water? it looks great. do they try to eat it?

L

lisa

Thankyou all for your comments, my camera isn't that good, a Sony cyber-shot digital camera, 2.0 megapixel. Nothing special. The photos weren't "great" but Photoshop can make such a difference. I just cropped the original image and adjusted the levels.
I find that the most important thing is lighting. It's so hard to get the right time of day when there's enough light to not need a flash, and still show up the colorings. And making sure the camera is focused on the axie, not the glass, or water. I'll have to try the magnifying glass technique though, sounds promising.
The floating plant is called "duck weed" and it's a noxious weed in aus. I got some from a friends pond. Started with a handfull, now I scoop out a 1lt container load every week. Every now and again when the girls go up for air they'll get some stuck in their mouths. it's hilarious watching them spit it back out, and then it floats back up to the top.

H

hailz

Lovely Axies, and i love your set up, that looks unreal! Your Black one looks so much like my boy Gillbert, as i was looking through the photos i had to stop and have a really close look to check it wasnt him,
rofl.gif

C

claire

No probs Anne Marie
happy.gif

i also found that the level of light over the tank depends on how clear the pic of the axie is. esp dark coloured axies. i shine a light into the tank now to take my pics of my axies. should be getting more pics this weekend so look out for more of Gus, Gretchen and the juveniles! lol.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1